Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

300GD 617 - 617A Turbo Trans Issue

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
WSMC511

300GD 617 - 617A Turbo Trans Issue

Post#1 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:36 pm

I searched the best I could for old posts but could not find what I was looking for.

We pulled out the auto trans and took it to a shop for seals and filters. I am being told that the trans needs to be completely overhauled including bands. They are quoting me 2,495.00. I can not afford this at this time.

Will the automatic transmission out of my 1985 300SD turbo be a good choice? I do not know what would happen to my 1,2,3,4 gear ratios and how this transmission would perform off road.

Any advice or links to other posts will be great.

Thanks,

Johnny

Dai C

Re: 300GD 617 - 617A Turbo Trans Issue

Post#2 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:56 pm

The SD tranny should work just fine. They are sturdy and up to the task. It will be easy to set up with the turbo motor by using all of the stock linkage/controls.

-Dai

WSMC511

Post#3 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:08 pm

Dai,

Thanks for the reply. So I would not have any issues with off road low range driving? I have a 83 300SD turbo federal motor I could mate to the 85 300SD transmission or keep the 85 300SD turbo motor and transmission combo already mated and transplant them as one in the g. Would this be better? I can use the manifold and injector pump from the federal motor.

I am still learning so all of your replies and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

BTW - looks like I will have to make a trip to Bend, OR to register the G with my dads address. I can not get past CARB.

Thanks,

syncro_G

Post#4 » Thu May 13, 2010 7:27 am

Can't get past CARB? Was it a 280GE or out of state?
I got mine through but I had to do a lot of prep and documentation to get the conversion passed.

So you currently have a non turbo installed? If so, then definitely bring over the SD engine and transmission together. No need to separate them.

Woody

Post#5 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:25 am

WSMC511 wrote:Dai,

BTW - looks like I will have to make a trip to Bend, OR to register the G with my dads address. I can not get past CARB.

Thanks,

Hey Johnny, you are aware that Bend is now in California? :D

Seriously, good luck. PM me if you have time for coffee or... beer?

ontum

Post#6 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:29 pm

man I feel bad for you California guys and all your ridiculous emissions stuff. We have emission testing in Oregon, but if your check engine light is out and your not blowing smoke out the back full of hydrocarbons or anything its a breeze.

-
Craig

WSMC511

Post#7 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:47 am

syncro_G ,

I purchased the truck from Pennsylvania in September of 09. From what I can tell the truck has spent it entire life in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I have all DOT and EPA paperwork. Truck is a 1984 model and was imported in August of 84. VIN is 46033317035702 and had a 617 non turbo mated to an auto tranny.

I have the engine and transmission out. I have been working on the engine bay (cleaning things up and redoing wiring) while I wait for the rebuild parts from Euro Truck Importers. I am using the 617A Turbo motor and auto tranny from my 1985 SD for the transplant. We will be using a federal 617A intake manifold and injection pump.

I am still trying to figure out the AC bracket part number or fabrication specs to mount the AC above the turbo.

Cheers,

Johnny

WSMC511

Post#8 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:52 am

Woody,

My wife and I moved from L.A area in Oct of 95 to Bend. Lived on a 20 acre ranch for the first few years near the landfill. We purchased a house in Elkhorn Estates off of Powers road. Moved back to L.A area in 2001.

I am trying to get the truck up and running in time for the June get together. If I can then I will stop in Bend first and get the truck registered with my Dad's help. I wish there was another way around it.

Thanks,

syncro_G

Post#9 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:13 pm

WSMC511 wrote:syncro_G ,

I purchased the truck from Pennsylvania in September of 09. From what I can tell the truck has spent it entire life in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Johnny

Ah, yeah, from what I've heard, you can't easily bring out of state G-wagens into California. I had a little headache with mine even though it lived most of it's life in state but I bought it in Seattle.

Good luck. Registering it in Bend should be fine.

Return to “Tech: Transmission and Transfer Case”