Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Removing 460 Transmission Tunnel Cover

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
stevegsmith

Removing 460 Transmission Tunnel Cover

Post#1 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:55 pm

If you ever need to remove your tunnel cover for whatever reason, this is how you do it.
1. Remove the front seats.
2. Pull out all tunnel cover fasteners, rubber gear shift surrounds, and unscrew locker knobs.
3. Pull up parking brake.
4. Reach in hole surrounding transfer case shifter and pull off air ducting to rear grill.
5. Lift rear of tunnel cover tilting forward then move in action the sequence pictured below.
Attachments
IMG_1461.JPG
IMG_1460.JPG
IMG_1458.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG
IMG_1456.JPG
IMG_1455.JPG

DesertStar

Re: Removing 460 Transmission Tunnel Cover

Post#2 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Steve...what is that foam stuff that appears to maybe hide/block the light that would normally come through the shift gate ?

Mike

stevegsmith

Post#3 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:15 am

Hi Mike!
I think it's 1.5" acoustic waffle foam. The previous owner put it in. There are two pieces about 2" wide by 6" long inside the shifter housing sandwiching the stick. The sandwich basically fills up the inside of the housing so they stay in place. Doesn't have to be waffle foam. I think you could probably do it with low density non-waffle flat foam. Cool thing is that you can get it in there without having to take the shifter housing off just by stuffing it in front or back and using a little poker from the top to work it through. Still have to remove the tunnel cover though.

Missed you last week poncho.
Attachments
auto_stick copy.jpg
Acoustic Foam.jpg

reinhardtius

Post#4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:41 pm

Steve,

Must you remove the seats to slide the whole plastic cover thing off? I never tried it but a few times I unscrewed everything for a deep cleaning and I was under the vague impression you could do it without taking off the seats... thoughts??

Hunter

PS I see you rocking the infamous gloves - dare you leave a fingerprint behind. BTW, where is the phone? Perhaps it's hidden in there really well :P

syncro_G

Post#5 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm pretty sure I was able to remove the tunnel with only the passenger seat removed. not sure I wore gloves.

Chris

Post#6 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:18 am

Yes, at least one seat needs to be removed.

Return to “Tech: Transmission and Transfer Case”