Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Transmission Fluid Change Woes

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
WSMC511

Transmission Fluid Change Woes

Post#1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:31 pm

So tomorrow my son and I are taking the G on her first major road trip.

1984 460 LWB (460333) with 617A and tranny conversion.

In anticipation of our trip up the California I5 North I decided to change the pan, pan gasket, transimission filter and ATF before the trip. I followed the write up authored by G-AMG on http://www.pointedthree.com.

I seem to still get a small dribble (leak) at the pan gasket even though I torqued to 8 Nm using a brand new torque wrench. I would drive then check the level and while I was out of the cab check the bolts again. A few times I would have to torque to 8 Nm again but only a small movement of the wrench.

What other areas are there to look at? BTW - I also drained the torque converter and both the pan and converter drained all night. I re torqued converter and pan drain plug bolts to 14 Nm.

I have been at this off and on all day. I guess I will just check the levels at each fuel stop and have ATF on hand.

We are driving to Beaverton, OR to pick up the wife and daughter who flew up to visit family then off to Bend, OR for the week.

I would love to meet up with anyone along the way.

Cheers,

Johnny

Dai C

Re: Transmission Fluid Change Woes

Post#2 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:20 am

Johnny,

Go here: http://www.automd.com/shops/prestige-au ... ir_326155/

These guys are on the way and could help you stop the leak. They are right off I-5 about two miles or so. Call ahead and they will get you in and out I bet. They are very competent MB mechanics. Ask for Mike or Chris and tell them I sent you. If you need a camping spot you can stay here if you would like.

Cheers,

-Dai

WSMC511

Post#3 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Dai,

Thanks for the offer. I don't think we will need to camp but I appreciate it.

I looked up the link you gave me and book marked it.

We are currently in Gilmore, CA. MY goal is to make it at least to Redding hopefully further. I will call the shop in the morning from the road.

I have been going through everything n my head. I did everything spot on and with a brand new torque wrench. Must be the fluid. I am using castrol dexron-VI.

Thanks again. I will post progress.

WSMC511

Post#4 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:23 am

Dai,

Sent you PM.

Johnny

Dai C

Post#5 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:20 pm

Great to meet you and your son, Johnny. Good luck with the problem. Please let us know what you learn and how you solved the problem.

-Dai

Bruce

Post#6 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:56 pm

The original post says the pan was changed. I'm wondering why change the pan and if the "new" pan (I'm assuming it's used) is bent/warped.
Last edited by Bruce on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WSMC511

Post#7 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Bruce,

Thanks for the post. I am using the transmission that was mated to the engine. I kept everything together and did not remove the tranny from the motor. The transmission was replaced by mercedesdismantlers a year or so ago.

When we put the motor and transmission in the G we banged it a little and there was a small dent. Did not leak but thought it was a good idea to replace as I was doing tranny service anyway.

The pan is not new. Puchased from mercedesdismantlers.com in sun valley.

Per Dai's recommendation I went to his Mercedes mechanic in Salem. We all determined that the leak is coming from the tranny breather. In The SD the combo sits pretty flat and in the G it is at an angle.

Hopefully someone can chime in who has the same conversion. 617A from 1985 SD with federal turbo. No trap. Tranny is 1984 SD.

The tranny body is the same as the 463 GE. The pan is deeper with a shorter dip stick tube and the breather tube.

Sorry for the poor post. I am on my iPhone.

Cheers,

Johnny

Bruce

Post#8 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:30 pm

OK Johnny, I understand.

I just find that when something that was working (ie the tranny not leaking) and then stops working (tranny starts leaking) and something was changed, it should be suspect. I used to do computer work and whenever a program that had been working started showing problems, the first place I would look was at the most recent code changes.

Sorry I cant help with the breather issue, but I still wonder why it would just begin to cause a problem when the transmission was serviced.

Good luck and let us know what it turns out to be.

Bruce

WSMC511

Post#9 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Good point. What I am thinking is that after the swap (less than two months ago) I have only driven here and there around town. My longest trip was a day outing to do a little off road test. I did not think of even checking for tranny leaks that day.

I posted a YouTube video of part of that trail. This leak may have attributed to what you will see. Clubgwagen channel search for miller jeep trail.

That was the most I had driven it. Round trip 150 miles or so.

Just found post on pointed three talking about swapping SD breather setup for G setup. Johnny

WSMC511

Post#10 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:04 am

Also found out that as the 463 GE auto tranny body is the same as the SD one. On the GE the pan is slightly different allowing for the fluid to sit at a different angle. Also this allows for the G tranny filter with snorkel. The SD style is flat.
I will update this post once a final solution is found. Johnny

Return to “Tech: Transmission and Transfer Case”