Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

W460 Transfer Case

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Fernando BR

Re: W460 Transfer Case

Post#21 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:57 pm

300GD owner manual
Attachments
towing.jpg

EdwinJ

Post#22 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:34 pm

Much appreciated, thanks.

Chris

Post#23 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:19 am

kerry460 wrote:I drove for a number of weeks in 4WD without front shaft , and my T/C is still fine .
kerry

I'm amazed your tcase is OK, I'm guessing you don't reach 70-80mph for hours on end on that island of yours.

kerry460

Post#24 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:30 am

Chris wrote:The front output flange needs to be spinning for the VG80 T-case to get adequate internal lubrication at higher speeds, If you tow a 460 with the front tires off the ground, the front output flange will not lube the tcase and the tcase will fry. Same goes for driving around with the front driveshaft removed without selecting 4x4.

Chris , why are you amazed at my statement about driving with out a front shaft ?????
your above comment says exactly what I did ,
4WD engaged with front shaft removed .
I do not understand why you have changed your point of view

have you been to my small island ?????
the maximum speed allowed in Aus is 110 kilometres per hour (68 MPH )
so , no I don't drive for long periods at 70 or 80 mph . but there are many many places you could but you will not have a drivers licence for long ,
cheers
kerry

Boy G

Post#25 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:57 am

Chris wrote:
kerry460 wrote:I drove for a number of weeks in 4WD without front shaft , and my T/C is still fine .
kerry

I'm amazed your tcase is OK, I'm guessing you don't reach 70-80mph for hours on end on that island of yours.

An interesting thread, quite a lot of which is very different from my own observations, not that that makes it fact.

Some years ago I drove one of my 460's for more than a year, or many thousands of kilometers, hour after hour, without the front shaft in it, in "SA" without any problems.

I, and others on this "island" where we live tow 460's all over the place on an A frame behind a something which can get 70-80 mph, for hours on end, and we are unaware that this is not good for the TC.

In all my years of 460's I still have never had any TC failures, except to seal the shift lever up top. I am surprised to learn that they are as delicate as I read here.

Chris

Post#26 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:23 pm

Kerry,
My reading comprehension went on vacation, its back now and Im happy to see you were safe in 4wd, I imagined (in horror) you were tearing around Tasmania in 2wd for weeks.

I have been driving my 280GE all summer with no front shaft as well (in 4x4), I suspect my awful front shaft vibes over 75MPH are due to variation of the front pinion angle caused by completely de-laminated radius arm bushings, at least that is my hope (the vibes disappear under braking or deceleration, which should increase the pinion angle).
I have installed front d-shafts from non-vibrating Gs onto my truck and the front d-shaft vibes persist at these higher speeds. :roll:

I think the best thing about these early Gs is they have a tcase lever! The 463s don't seem so suffer as badly from vibes luckily, but the ability to directly 'feel' the drivetrain while you drive has its advantages. Im positive a big reason MBZ removed the lever in 2001 was because so many customers freaked about the lever vibrating.

I use the t-case range selector lever to troubleshoot all types of drivetrain issues, with my hand placed on the lever I can feel different types of vibes in different driving scenarios. Later 460s had the tcase lever isolated from the tcase with a rubber bushing, which can mask some vibes.

Boy G,
The VG80 is not delicate at all, it just needs to have all output flanges spinning to stay happy.
Any gearbox/transfer case/differential will eventually fry with inadequate lubrication coupled with high RPM.
VG80 is super compact and only weighs ~40lbs, which is amazing when you consider the Gs capability offroad, on road and its ability to cary very heavy loads.

But it does have an 'Achilles heel'.
How many tow truck drivers know to disconnect driveshaft when towing a 460 with one axle off the ground?
Im guessing 2, all the rest hopefully have insurance to cover the cost of their client's T-case replacement.
I have a part of a fried VG80s in my shop (now a paperweight/ash tray), its amazing to see how the bearings literally welded themselves to the shafts.

kerry460

Post#27 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:07 pm

all is Good Chris . it has had its vacation , so you should be right for another year :D :lol:
I think we have all been guilty of reading things the wrong way , and afterwards you read it and ask yourself how did I get it so wrong .
cheers,
kerry

Crank

Post#28 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:16 pm

One more question here:

Does the transfer case have to be back into "N" (neutral) before engaging the diff locks, or do you do it once you're in GA/4-Low?

offroad-world

Post#29 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:09 pm

Crank wrote:One more question here:

Does the transfer case have to be back into "N" (neutral) before engaging the diff locks, or do you do it once you're in GA/4-Low?

no , you can shift as you want and put them in when necessary while driving and they log in .when you engage them they log out at driving back and forward again .
hope my english is good enough to explain what i mean :roll:

mfg. guido .

ontum

Post#30 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Chris wrote:The front output flange needs to be spinning for the VG80 T-case to get adequate internal lubrication at higher speeds, If you tow a 460 with the front tires off the ground, the front output flange will not lube the tcase and the tcase will fry. Same goes for driving around with the front driveshaft removed without selecting 4x4.

Chris, does this mean that I am harming my 460 transfer case by pulling long wheelies along the interstate? Maybe I should touch the front wheels down every 10 miles or so to lube up the transfer case.

-
Craig

Return to “Tech: Transmission and Transfer Case”