Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

5-Speed Auto in a W460

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
grazza

Re: 5-Speed Auto in a W460

Post#31 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Can anyone tell me if the 722.6xx that is factory fitted to the G300 has any physical differences to the ones used in sedans?
I am thinking about breathers here or other offroad changes.
Also I have a W202 shifter and I want to be sure it will be OK with water/mud splashing up from underneath.
This will be going in a W460.

I am getting close to this conversion having sourced a 722.6, the TPS, shifter and output flange.
Just need to order Ole's TCU.

vadimivanovich

Post#32 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:27 pm

I can't speak for the differences between the G 722.6 and the sedan version, but I am quite sure that the breather at the top of the bell-housing is replaced by a banjo bolt and remote breather line. The transmission I have on my workbench will be set up with the breather, better bell housing sealing, and viton lip-seals for the in/output shafts. Probably not really necessary but not much extra effort.

Just be sure you have a newer version of the trans, and the right output flange.

grazza

Post#33 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:06 pm

Would love a picture of that Vadim.

I wonder if there is some sort of boot that goes between the bottom of the shifter and the open chassis underneath, to stop water/mud splashing up.

vadimivanovich

Post#34 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:02 pm

Here's the 722.6 bell-housing removed from the transmission, and the breather on top:
Here I have removed the mushroom breather piece (part A) and you can see the hole it was in. There's a 2nd piece of the breather (part B) that is not shown in the photo; it snaps into the hole and the mushroom part snaps into that.

I can take more photos when my new breather line is attached. I may alternately use a push-to-connect fitting just because it'd be easily serviceable without tools in the future. We'll see what works best.

diesel_jim

Post#35 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:16 pm

For that breather, on my 722, I found a piece of rubber pipe that fits in really snugly. I'll bond it in with some sealant, then run a smaller piece of pipe (that fits into the first bit...) and run it up to the engine bay.

On the bottom of my bellhousing are 2 oblong slots where you can see up into the torque convertor. There are a couple of rubber/plastic bungs that will fit into these slots; I'll dig the part # out.

grazza

Post#36 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:02 am

Thanks for the photos and info.

Mikeyd

Post#37 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:25 am

Could you tell me what parts your replacing? Adding? To beef up your trans?
I am in the process of doing the same, but would like to know what parts I should be ordering? 722.605 so I would like to beef up what ever needs to be done while I have it out.
I will be running g specific maps from ole. For my gas application.
Thanks
Mike
95 g320

kmaser

Post#38 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:49 am

Mikeyd wrote:Could you tell me what parts your replacing? Adding? To beef up your trans?
I am in the process of doing the same, but would like to know what parts I should be ordering? 722.605 so I would like to beef up what ever needs to be done while I have it out.
I will be running g specific maps from ole. For my gas application.
Thanks
Mike
95 g320

Was Ole able to send you a controller pre-mapped for a G?

vadimivanovich

Post#39 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:45 am

Mikeyd, check page 2 of this thread. The parts I'm changing include all new friction materials, newer style frictions in some cases (single-sided), and more frictions overall, wherever possible. This necessitates the replacement of snap rings of the proper thickness to maintain friction clearances, and swapping thick steels for thinner ones to make room for the added frictions. Of course, the master overhaul kit will also be installed - that's all seals, gaskets, filter, electrical plug, etc. I'm not messing with the valve body at this point. It should be completely fine for another 100K+ miles. It's a couple hour job to replace the contactor plate if needed down the road. Piston kits *should not* be needed for later-model transmissions.

kmaser

Post#40 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:42 am

I may have missed this earlier in the thread but are you lowering the engine mounting brackets on the frame or using factory arms, G-Specific Pan etc. and leaving them as is?
Also are you having an 8Bolt flange for the 722.6 fabricated? I am looking at having one made unless someone already has a solution I would be interested in buying one?

Return to “Tech: Transmission and Transfer Case”