Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Transmission hump sound deadener

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
awjunkies

Transmission hump sound deadener

Post#1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:04 am

How many of you guys still run around with this thing installed? I'm assuming its a factory piece as ive seen more than a few undercarriage photos with the piece installed. I finished up pulling apart the interior/sand/sealed the floor and just about to lay down dynamat and I've noticed that every part this thing touch is either severely rusted or completely rotted. I was able to save most but did have to do some patch work.

I know the previous owner did some mudding and possibly water fording but this thing just seems like a rust sponge. Thoughts on completely removing?

VolvoC303

Re: Transmission hump sound deadener

Post#2 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:31 am

Don't put the Dynamat on the floor. It will trap moister under it and you will have new rust within a year.

vadimivanovich

Post#3 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Heh heh, some of us like Dynamyat, others don't.

That factory sound insulation is not very good. I will be trying some self-adhesive moisture resistant acoustical foam when I do my engine/trans swap. It's about 50-50 open and closed cell so I hope it will be no worse, and probably better than factory. Wind noise is really the worst culprit.

awjunkies

Post#4 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:08 pm

Yeah it's like a Chevy/Ford thing...

I've been running around the past week to and from work with just a drivers seat, no interior/mats/weatherstripping with the heat on high. I can say its just as loud as my carpeted 69 Bronco or my FJ40!! I sprayed 3m rubberized undercoating on the bottom/top floor of the Bronco and used Lizardskin acoustic with added heat insulation pellets you can buy from wholesale airline manufacturers on the 40 and it did help with rattles and road noise. But on my cars I've always did the same regiment; grind to metal, rust sealant, dynomat/reckhorn insulation. This always resulted in the best gains (to lessen sound) with minimal prep or issue afterwords.

I get that the wagen is essentially a rolling brick but as 4x4s go with my track record for pre 75 vehicles this is the most solid thing I've driven in the past 10 years. I'm sure it'll quiet down real nice!

Probably going to tear out the factory underside insulation tmrw.

Return to “Tech: Transmission and Transfer Case”