Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

w460 autobox removal

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
dusty-G

w460 autobox removal

Post#1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:25 am

I am trying to separate the auto from the OM617. I have removed all the bolts I can see , and there is now a 10mm gap betwwen the two, but it is refusing to come any further!

The only workshop manual I have is for the 300D W123 saloon. This shows that several bolts need to be removed through an access hole. For the torque converter. On the G-wagen version I cannot see where one might access these bolts, I guess there would need to be some?

Any tips please?

Thanks, Adrian

vadimivanovich

Re: w460 autobox removal

Post#2 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:41 am

I don't have an auto trans but you will definitely need to remove the 6 torque converter bolts to get the trans out. They are screwed in with the bolt heads forward. I'm guessing on the engine/oil pan where it mates to the trans bell housing there will be a removable plug or panel that will give you enough room to remove one or two bolts at a time. You need to rotate the TC to access each pair of bolts. Once detached, wire the TC in so it doesn't come off the trans shaft. There's a seal in there that is easily damaged, and it will make a big mess if you pull the TC off.

Good luck!

Locked up

Post#3 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:48 pm

what Vadim said, 6 bolts you still need to remove to separate the torque converter from the flex plate. hopefully you already removed your dip stick tube, reverse light plug and the kick down cable.

dusty-G

Post#4 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks guys
I do have the assembly out of the car, thankfully. In the area where the sedan gearbox has an inspection/access hole, the G sump pan is bolted up. Unless there is something I have missed, I will remove the sump pan first to access the TC bolts.
Regards
Adrian

vadimivanovich

Post#5 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:52 pm

I found a sedan photo showing the cover plate that needs to be removed on the engine oil pan. Mind you, I do not have an automatic G so I can't say how this will be different on yours. There must be some better dust/water-proofing.
It sounds like you must have lowered the tail housing of your trans and slid it rearward to clear the torque converter while still attached. You're going to have to get it back in again so be sure you know how to do it now, before you get stuck later on.

dusty-G

Post#6 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:01 am

OK got it!
I was looking for a larger opening than what is there - which is a 40mm threaded hole with a plug.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Regards
Adrian
Attachments
G_TC_bolt_plug1.JPG

Return to “Tech: Transmission and Transfer Case”