Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Is it possible to lower height 'slightly' of clutch pedal ?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
ridgeman

Is it possible to lower height 'slightly' of clutch pedal ?

Post#1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Perhaps I'm a bit too fussy, but my 280GE's clutch pedal feels to have
a bit too much height for my liking and I wondered if there was a way
to 'tweak' it a 'smidge' and thereby have a bit less travel distance before
it engages?

schuhe

Re: Is it possible to lower height 'slightly' of clutch pedal ?

Post#2 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:38 pm

Lower the clutch pedal? I had to go to the garage to look. I have heard of owners whating to raise the pedal (adding a block to the pedal, wearing heavier shoes perhaps), but never to lower it. You might have to move the entire clutch master cylinder forward so as to create distance from the vehicle fire wall to then enhance the distance away from you. I have never seen this done, but suspect that it could be accomplished.

The other approach (less involved) would be to have the pedal reshaped. This might be accomplished by reshaping the attack of the area above the pedal to move it away from you. I am surprised that I am taking all of this seriously, but yes, I suspect it could be done.

Good luck!

Edgar Ergonomics (AKA, Tom)

syncro_G

Post#3 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:52 pm

in my old VW's with cable activated clutch, there was a nut you could adjust to take slack out of the cable.
I don't think hydraulic cylinders give you that option. less pedal will mean less fluid getting squeezed.

First thing I would try is bleed the brakes carefully - maybe a couple times to make sure it's all new fluid and that there's no bubbles anywhere. The pedal should feel pretty stiff after that.
You might also have a weak clutch disk or pressure plate.

Or, maybe you're just used to some other vehicle that has a really stiff clutch. If that's the case, I have little to say other than maybe you should drive the G more than the other car.

-C

inkblotz

Post#4 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:21 am

You could possibly adjust the adjusting nut/shaft that goes into the clutch master (inside the G) so that the clutch engages lower down. Then attach a spacer/bolt/nut whatever to the body or the pedal arm itself to fill the void when the clutch pedal is slightly compressed.

Mark

Gelande

Post#5 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:08 am

The pedals themselves are mounted to the pedal box. Getting that to be farther from the driver has been done, the box is under the hood on the firewall, and can be shimmed out with spacer (homemade)

However, I don't see how it could go inwards towards the cabin, since it is mounted on the other side of the wall, which is a fixed item you can't change.

ridgeman

Post#6 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:57 am

thanks for all the input. I've decided to leave well enough alone,
especailly since two mechanics have told me the setting of the
clutch pedal is fine.

Return to “Tech: Transmission and Transfer Case”