Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Snorkel pics

Winch mounts, snorkels, bumpers, rocker protection, skid plates, recovery devices, and more
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Locked up

Snorkel pics

Post#1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:52 pm

I finally installed the snorkel I purchased from one of our friendly G-wagen parts guys. All I got was the plastic snorkel, so using pics
found on the web, I fabricated my own bracket.

I made sure that it would look as close to the real thing as possible.

I still need to plumb it into the engine compartment, and tie it into an air box... still sourcing parts, but you get the idea.

Eric

stevegsmith

Re: Snorkel pics

Post#2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:11 pm

Nicely done Eric. I like the bracket. Don't forget to post the end result pics. I'm interested to see how you deal with the plumbing.

reinhardtius

Post#3 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:45 pm

Plumbing sounds tricky, I was thinking it would be great to have a piece of custom moulded silicone hoses bent that clamp onto the end of the airbox and run all the way up the snorkel to the very top. This would literally make the snorkel almost watertight, providing the clamp on the airbox is tightened and properly sealed. Using a ribbed hosing material may cause intake resistance, a smooth surface would be prime.

Thoughts? By the way, nice bracket!

Here is a picture of the silicon tubing if one is not familiar...

Locked up

Post#4 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:12 pm

I'm thinking that I really want it to be 100% water tight as well. I'm buliding a type of junction box that will be on the inside, and mate
to the cut out for the snorkel. I'll add 2" of pipe to the box to attach the silicone hose. For ease of install, I'm going to weld the nuts inside the box. I'll silicone the joint between the fender and the snorkel to keep it water tight.

The issue is the shape of the snorkel outlet... plus the fact that it's not robust enough to use a clamp on.

Still looking for some type of air canister that is pass through in design. I'd also like some type of water trap...
Since I like to recycle, it would be nice if it came on a readily found vehicle in U-pull-it. I heard some Japanese SUV's had these...

inkblotz

Post#5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:54 am

Eric

Nice bracket.

As far as the transition piece from the oval snorkel into the engine compartment why not research hard black plastic hoses. Like those used for leaf blowers and the big shop Vacs. Home Depot and Lowes carries all sorts of tubing attachments for the shop vacs. They are flexible enough to squeeze the end to form the oval and durable enough to take a hit. You can apply a clamp inside.

Another approach is aluminum piping in which the outside diameter is the same as the inside diameter of the oval snorkel. That way you can squeeze the aluminum to form the oval and push it into the the snorkel and apply a clamp to the plastic of the snorkel or do a rubber outer sleeve that would have 2 clamps one on the plastic and the other end on the aluminum.

I used silicon hoses and a 3" aluminum pipe when I created my air cleaner. They are a nice addition and are resistant to the heat of the turbo.

Mark
Attachments
TurboGDAirCleaner.jpg

stevegsmith

Post#6 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:30 am

Mark, what does the intake look like? Can you snap a pic of the front of your G so we can see?

inkblotz

Post#7 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:17 am

Steve this is not the factory air filter. This one had a side intake. The large ribbed hose (in the photo) below the Air Cleaner that leads to the front of the G is the air intake. It is set to take in air just behind the grill and just in front of the radiator as to avoid getting any hot air coming in.

Now at some point I could simply turn the unit so that the air intake points to the fender and then I could set up a side intake as the newer G's have.

M

stevegsmith

Post#8 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:22 am

inkblotz wrote:Steve this is not the factory air filter. This one had a side intake. The large ribbed hose (in the photo) below the Air Cleaner that leads to the front of the G is the air intake. It is set to take in air just behind the grill and just in front of the radiator as to avoid getting any hot air coming in.

Now at some point I could simply turn the unit so that the air intake points to the fender and then I could set up a side intake as the newer G's have.

M

I know, I just wanted to see what the intake mount looked like. You trying to hide something?
ss

inkblotz

Post#9 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:27 am

Hide something me?!?!?!?

I will try to get a pic in today.

M

stevegsmith

Post#10 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:45 pm

thanks punkin.

Return to “Purchased and Installed Offroad Modifications and Improvements”