Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Is there a Cargo security shade available for the 280GE ?

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
ridgeman

Is there a Cargo security shade available for the 280GE ?

Post#1 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:34 am

Have seen a 'laid out flat' roll up style shade in vehicles like an 05 Mercury
Mountaineer and have searched the internet looking for one that would work
in the 'G' but have had no luck.

inkblotz

Re: Is there a Cargo security shade available for the 280GE ?

Post#2 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:14 pm

They make them for the G500 maybe you could retrofit it to your 280.

Check these guys out:
http://www.eurotruck-importers.com
http://gwagenpreserve.com/
http://www.fourbyfourclub.com/

Mark

Indiana Drew

Post#3 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:08 pm

Are the bodies the same width? I have never measured though one of each is outside ... If the 280 is not narrower, the retro fit would be really simple ...

inkblotz

Post#4 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 am

The dimensions of the bodies have not changed only the trim levels and the other obvious upgrades.

M

syncro_G

Post#5 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:08 pm

inkblotz wrote:The dimensions of the bodies have not changed only the trim levels and the other obvious upgrades. M

the differences in trim may impact the ease of retrofit - depends on how different they are and how much one sticks out relative to the other.
Also, the back seats and mounting of G500 and 280GE are quite different so if the cover has to connect to some related part, it may become a bit of a project. In any case, I'm curious to see what you find out - looks like a worthwhile "upgrade" project and at least for me, a great way to hide the boxes of spares and future project parts I keep in the back of my truck.

-C

Indiana Drew

Post#6 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:25 pm

syncro_G wrote:
inkblotz wrote:The dimensions of the bodies have not changed only the trim levels and the other obvious upgrades. M

the differences in trim may impact the ease of retrofit - depends on how different they are and how much one sticks out relative to the other.
Also, the back seats and mounting of G500 and 280GE are quite different so if the cover has to connect to some related part, it may become a bit of a project. In any case, I'm curious to see what you find out - looks like a worthwhile "upgrade" project and at least for me, a great way to hide the boxes of spares and future project parts I keep in the back of my truck.

-C

The ends of the roller cover are the only places that are attached. They are just plastic "cups" that are afixed to the sides of the cargo area. If need be I could take a photo but someone already has a thread with pix of one in a G500 either here or on P3.

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”