Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Storage box geeks - FYI

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
hoovka

Storage box geeks - FYI

Post#1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:59 am

Jonathan, brought this up in another thread a little while ago. Rubbermaid used to make this awesome storage box/ tool box / locker. Made of a heavy plastic
(pic in thread link : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=96&hilit=boxes)

I have been looking or at least keeping my eyes open for another one and came across this one in a bass pro shop catalog. I have not laid my hands on it, but it looks very similar. I do not know why they would add two more locking hasps to the sides? The Rubbermaid was plenty secure with the two on front. Maybe they are smaller? http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

Not a bad price if it is the same quality as the Rubbermaid one. Plano makes some good tackle / ammo boxes.

Also what reminded me of this was I stumbled across some truck tool boxes for sale on craigslist. A trailer company bought out this manufacturer of diamond plate tool boxes and is getting rid of them cheap. There is a flat cargo box (6.5"x36.5"x35")that looks cool, I am going to look at tomorrow. - http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/tls/1388791615.html

Z.Maskolunas

Re: Storage box geeks - FYI

Post#2 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:15 pm

I have the Plano. It's OK, kept tools spare filters etc... in it. The four latches keeps the box from flexing. Kind of flimsy without the side latches. It does fit nicely in back of my SWB. Traded it for tool duffle bag.

Zaine

hoovka

Post#3 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:40 am

to bad the Plano is flimsy - That Rubbermaid you could stand on it with no worries, and I am over 200#.

On the diamond plate box from craigslist, I just looked at it - It has a kick out on the right side wich is not apparent in the photo, easy to whack off, but depends what you want it for. also the construction is mediocre. They had a bunch of truck tool boxes, but they were all the same material and construction. light weight aluminium with cheap latches and hinges. $100? again depends what you want it for.

Momo P

Post#4 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:28 am

What's the deal with this Rubbermaid, Action Packer?

http://www.rubbermaid.com/category/page ... me=Storage

Z.Maskolunas

Post#5 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:10 am

Well don't get me wrong I like the Plano it serves its purpose, I just wouldn't use it for standing on. I still use it to store parts in. I just don't keep the box in my G like I use too. Considered the RubberMaid and if they came in different sizes I would get a couple. My wife designs cabinetry for Kitchens and Bath, I am trying get her to help me get some kind of modular system made. But I am on her list dead last. :lol:

Zaine

hoovka

Post#6 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:49 am

Yes the plastic boxes serve as excellent storage I agree. Takes up alot of space tho.. I bet your wife could make something real nice, maybe you will have to do something for her? LOL. good luck.

Momo, that box looks very similar to the tool box, but the tool box is closer in size to that plano in my first post. The action packer is the same colors and the latches look like they are the same, but the material does not look the same.

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”