Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

460 child mirror

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
syncro_G

460 child mirror

Post#1 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:12 pm

I'll have to take some pictures -

I made a child seat mirror using an extra 460 side mirror, a 10mm shoulder bolt, a piece of wood and a couple strong magnets from a hard drive.

works great, fully positionable and just sticks to the back of the back seat. easy to pull off when you don't need it.

nollij

Re: 460 child mirror

Post#2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Yes please.. I'd dig seeing that! It sounds good for keeping an eye on the shorties...

[quote="syncro_G"]I'll have to take some pictures -

I made a child seat mirror using an extra 460 side mirror, a 10mm shoulder bolt, a piece of wood and a couple strong magnets from a hard drive.

works great, fully positionable and just sticks to the back of the back seat. easy to pull off when you don't need it.[/quote]

Gelande

Post#3 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:21 pm

have one in the G500, with the Recaro Baby, which is an awesome seat!!

will get photos

autonovice

Post#4 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:48 pm

Dun that this past weekend.

I went to Bed Bath and Beyond, bought a "deluxe" version of the shower curtain rod, (black color! $16),
stopped by Kragen for a cheap 5x10 truck mirror ($10), spray foam insulator from my
local Ace Hardware .... a little bit of drilling ... spray the crap out of the inside of the tube to
dampen the noise from the spring loaded rod, voila a child mirror! Admit I can do a better job
or try to find a mirror w/ some magnification. Any has leads on magnified truck mirrors?
Attachments
DSC00512.jpg
DSC00511.jpg

syncro_G

Post#5 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:52 pm

Interesting Minh- that's a different approach to what I did.

The trick to this project is that if you need a baby mirror like this, your tinker time is going to be doled out to you in 10 minute increments. so my solution was built around 10 minute chunks.

10 minutes of design
10 minutes in the hardware store (had to be there for other reasons)
10 minutes doing some measurements
10 minutes in the workshop

I had an extra 460 side mirror with a weak clamp.
after experimenting with some off-the-shelf baby mirrors that were convex, I realized my spare rear view mirror would be a perfect fit for the application.

the 460 also has a heafty steel seat back and I happened to have a collection of strong magnets with steal backings from old computer hard drives.

I cut a piece of wood, riveted some hard drive magnets to it and found a bolt with a 10mm shoulder to attach the mirror to.

the wood piece only has to be about 12" long but be sure to cut it so it fits between ribs in the seat back.

the wood I used (fir) happened to be really strong (compression wood) so I just drilled an undersized hole for the bolt and let it self thread.

the magnets were riveted to the wood - I didn't bother getting rivets that went all the way through. instead, just let them seat themselves inside the holes I drilled.

Here it is - back view:
G_babyMirror_back.jpg

Front view:
G_babyMirror_front.jpg

In the G:
G_babyMirror_inTruck1.jpg

Another view from in the G:
G_babyMirror_inTruck2.jpg

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”