Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Lowrance Global 840c

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Gelande

Lowrance Global 840c

Post#1 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:24 pm

Anybody have experience using one of these units?

http://www.tigergps.com/lowrancebaja840c.html

reinhardtius

Re: Lowrance Global 840c

Post#2 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:37 pm

mserpe wrote:Anybody have experience using one of these units?

http://www.tigergps.com/lowrancebaja840c.html

Mike,

Did you ask over at Expedition Portal? Maybe someone over there has maybe used one or has one?

Hunter

DesertStar

Post#3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:38 pm

Mike, the Overland Journal Fall 2007 edition had a GPS comparison with the Baja being a favorite.

Mike

syncro_G

Post#4 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:17 am

I suspect that the better solution now would be
Ipad (small version would fit better) on ram mount
Dual xgps bluetooth device
Topo app or similar with preloaded maps and route finding.

AlanMcR

Post#5 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:04 am

I'd agree. I run a 6" Android phablet mounted on the dash, with a bluetooth GPS mounted under the fresh air intake plastic. Excellent GPS signal and a wide range of upgradable software on the tablet. On road I use Sygic and off road I use BackCountry Navigator. Both have their quirks, but seem to meet my needs.
One thing to keep in mind when choosing a tablet for auto use: Test it with polarized glasses. LCD screens include a polarizer. Depending on the orientation your screen will look black with your sunglasses on. This shouldn't be an issue with AMOLED screens.

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”