Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Updated Moto Carrier for the G

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Gelande

Updated Moto Carrier for the G

Post#1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:22 pm

Did some updates to my homemade moto carrier for the G....worked out great

shown here with the YZ fresh back from a nice ride
Attachments
moto rack 3.jpg
moto rack 1.jpg
moto rack 2.jpg

ontum

Re: Updated Moto Carrier for the G

Post#2 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Very nice. Not using a trailer when only taking two bikes would be real nice. What did you learn from your build? What were you mods?

-
Craig

inkblotz

Post#3 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:22 am

Nice stout set up Mike. With the second bike mounted how close does it's handle bars come to the rear glass?

Mark

Momo P

Post#4 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:00 pm

pretty cool, Serp. Trailer holds steady, not a lot of bounce while cruising?

ontum

Post#5 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:48 pm

I just built something a little similar today Mike. I built a dirt bike holder for our fork lift to get the bikes up to our storage easier above our office. Previously someone had to sit on the bike while we raised it 13 feet. Yah, not so safe. But now its a breeze and 1 person can move all the dirt bikes around.

Once I build a receiver hitch onto my 460, I'll need to build a dirt bike holder for it.

-
Craig

Gelande

Post#6 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:24 am

The two rails are aluminum to save on weight. They were actually out of a pickup mounting kit, and plasma cut for the front wheel holes. But you can tig weld that together from 1/8" stock plate. The rest is made from 2" square steel stock for the part that goes into the hitch and up under the frame work, and then the frame work is 1x1 L channel for mounting the rails and distributing the weight evenly.

Yes, I can use the inner track / rail without rubbing the window glass so long as the spare tire is removed.

Originally, it was built for trials bikes, so they are of course shorter, and lighter, but handlebars are same width as dirt bikes/enduros.

My friend borrowed it to haul two KTM 525s and went to Baja on dirt roads and it survived (on back of D90 and then on back of early 70's bronco)...but it did get bent from all that weight on the offroad. So I repaired that and made it a bit stronger this time. But I don't use it offroad.

The problem these cause is actually wear to the 2" receiver hitches, it causes them to widen up slightly over time, and get loose play. Over time meaning several years, I use this at least once if not twice a week to go to our local riding club.

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”