Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Gwagen logic...Rear seat removal = storage,tiedowns and lift

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
DesertStar

Gwagen logic...Rear seat removal = storage,tiedowns and lift

Post#1 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:56 pm

I am prepping a little bit for the upcoming Death Valley adventure. Past adventures all went fine, but always felt I could improve the organization of what I am packing...ie: move three things to get to the one thing you need. I also wanted to pack my things more low in the vehicle and insure all is anchored securely than before which always involved ice chests on the rear seat, and the back end of the G loaded almost to the headliner...not real good in trying to somewhat maintain a low center of gravity and tame sudden stops.

I have also contemplated taking out the rear passenger seat to make it possible to sleep but never got to excited about removing the seat as everyone said it takes two people etc etc.

Today I said screw it, and removed the two bolts at the floor mount area and voila....seat is loose. Yes, it is as heavy as people have said, I would say pushing 180-200 pounds. I managed to remove by myself, but do not recommend it for those not familiar with leverage and proper lifting techniques.

I than unbolted the rear jump seats from their mounts and figured that I could utilize the framework for tie down points.

With all the seats gone I now have tons of room in the back, anchor points and I could swear my G sits about an inch higher in the back.

Here are some photos showing the anchor points you can gain. I also posted a photo showing an idea I have about utilizing the rear jumpseat framework for some sort of stowage box or something as it has plenty of mounting points to do most anything. I am not sure what I really want to do here, if anything.

Mike
Attachments
stageidea [800x600].jpg
DSCF0021 [800x600].JPG
DSCF0018 [800x600].JPG

Dai C

Re: Gwagen logic...Rear seat removal = storage,tiedowns and lift

Post#2 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:46 pm

I have no doubt your G sits higher after taking that seat out. That has to be one of the most overbuilt seats in a vehicle ever made. Mine is like yours and it is unbelieveably heavy. It may have T1 plate in it. I really like the way it folds up and forward, really clever but I have contemplated removing it like you did more than once. If I didn't have kids it would be out of there.

-Dai

DesertStar

Post#3 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:56 pm

Dai, now that I found it only takes 10 minutes tops to install/uninstall I will always remove when going on safari. I wish I had a diesel and then I can use the rear jumpseat brackets to mount extra fuel cans. I do not like petrol inside.
Mike

I always hated the way it folded forward as I always had to move the front seats so far forward is was uncomfortable....in addition the "catch" or latch on the rear seat back would dig a hole in the front seats.

Dude, you kill me...that is exactly what I was thinking last night, using those with those bolts that pop through the wells. Too funny.
Mike
Last edited by DesertStar on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevegsmith

Post#4 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:04 pm

Mike,
I bought four of these LR tie-downs from Expedition Exchange and used existing bolt locations to mount them. I'll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow and repost. One set, left and right, I mounted using one of the mount bolts for the upper seat back bracket and for the rear set I used the auxiliary tank mount bolts that pop up through the wheel wells in the farthest rear corners. Here's the clip.
Attachments
Picture 1.png

Dai C

Post#5 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:19 pm

DesertStar wrote:
I always hated the way it folded forward as I always had to move the front seats so far forward is was uncomfortable....in addition the "catch" or latch on the rear seat back would dig a hole in the front seats.

Mike, there must be slightly different clearance with the SWB because I don't have the problems you describe. There seems to be more room with the set up in my truck and I have a larger than stock Recaro drivers seat.

I will have to try out your 10 minute removal challenge.

-Dai

DesertStar

Post#6 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:55 pm

stevegsmith wrote:Mike,
I bought four of these LR tie-downs from Expedition Exchange and used existing bolt locations to mount them. I'll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow and repost. One set, left and right, I mounted using one of the mount bolts for the upper seat back bracket and for the rear set I used the auxiliary tank mount bolts that pop up through the wheel wells in the farthest rear corners. Here's the clip.

Dude, you are killing me....that is exactly what I was thinking of doing last night...same tie-down from EE and same bolt that sticks through. Like Inkblotz said in another post ...great minds have 2 blue marbles...no wait, "think alike". Too many threads running through my mind.
mike

jonathan joseph

Post#7 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:16 am

Have you guys thought about using the selt belt mounting points in the floor for those tie downs? I recently removed my seat belts so I could lay something fragile flat on the floor. Those mounts might be a good location for some extra tie downs. Some may say it's not a good idea to utilize a safety feature in this way but I think they are way strong.

Jonathan

schuhe

Post#8 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:46 am

Dai,

There is more room between those seats on the short wheel base G. When I folded the rear seat forward on my former cabrio I could retain the driver and passenger seat positions. I was very surprised when I bought the LWB G that with the rear seat folded forward, I was positioned very close to the steering wheel. I thought that it might be due to the Recaro front seats, but perhaps it is just a LWB issue.

Another Topic, Dai. What are the cool temps doing for the grapes?

Tom

Dai C

Post#9 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:04 am

Tom, I think you are right and there is a difference between the LWB and SWB distance between the front and rear seats.

We are running behind, the color is just changing right now and normally the vineyards would be through. I am thinning the crop very tight to ensure the fruit that is left will ripen. We will need a nice October!

-Dai

stevegsmith

Post#10 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:46 am

Here are the tie-downs mounted as described before. The best place for them is where they put the stock ones now (mounted vertically on the inside of the wheel wells just above the cargo floor) but for me, that required removing the aux tanks and drilling some holes. Didn't feel like it so voila.
Attachments
IMG_0291.jpg
IMG_0292.jpg

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”