Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Gwagen logic...Rear seat removal = storage,tiedowns and lift

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
reinhardtius

Re: Gwagen logic...Rear seat removal = storage,tiedowns and lift

Post#11 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:19 pm

Dai C wrote:I have no doubt your G sits higher after taking that seat out. That has to be one of the most overbuilt seats in a vehicle ever made. Mine is like yours and it is unbelieveably heavy. It may have T1 plate in it. I really like the way it folds up and forward, really clever but I have contemplated removing it like you did more than once. If I didn't have kids it would be out of there.

-Dai

I second that. When I put up the rear seat I have plenty of room and my seat doesn't touch the folded up back seat. I have the seat pushed somewhere in the middle of all the way back and all the way forward...

inkblotz

Post#12 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:08 pm

Question?
Will the ride become more bouncy and harsh without the balanced weight of the heavy rear seat in place. If you have stiff springs and shocks and "no junk in your trunk" there is not a lot back there to compress them.

The seat belt connectors are not in the floor of older G's they are bolted in the bench seat itself. I am not sure which year they changed this and mounted them in the floor.

Mark

stevegsmith

Post#13 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:56 pm

inkblotz wrote:Question?
Will the ride become more bouncy and harsh without the balanced weight of the heavy rear seat in place. If you have stiff springs and shocks and "no junk in your trunk" there is not a lot back there to compress them.

Silly Mark.

The seat belt connectors are not in the floor of older G's they are bolted in the bench seat itself. I am not sure which year they changed this and mounted them in the floor.

Mark

I suspect that is why those seats are soooo freakin thick....steal wise. Since the seat belt mount is in the seat itself, the seat would have to be strong enough to hold up to impact. Beam like. Anything lighter might not hold up, eh? Especially if you have someone sitting in the back that happens to have, as Mark puts it, "a lot of junk in their trunk".
8-)

syncro_G

Post#14 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:08 pm

Thanks Steve and Mike - I love the tie down idea.
I've got a pile of bungee chords that I keep criss-crossed in the back to keep things from sliding around.
Because the tie points are high enough, I can string bungees through shopping bag handles and keep everything upright.
I have jumpseats which have lots of places to tie to but I've been interested in adding a few extra tie points for the baby seat(s). I'll need add a second baby seat in a couple weeks ;)

-C

DesertStar

Post#15 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:33 am

inkblotz wrote:Question?

Mark

Well, nothing that noticeable with regard to ride when empty. I do foresee a better load balance when I go into the outback, and heck, may gain better traction up front.
Mike

a.mcclean

Post#16 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:33 pm

I like your innovative use of the bolt for the rear seat bracket, very nice and simple. It seems to me that the jump seat frame would be the perfect place for a couple of removal hard saddle bags. I wonder if any motorcycle ones would fit on the tubes that you have back there. otherwise you might have to break out the TIG welder and make some sweet aluminum boxes. Heck if you did that you could insulate them and make them some nice coolers! A nice cheap option could be to go down to your local army navy store and by some old ammo cans. There super sturdy and would take nicely to mounting up on those brackets. But these are all just random ideas. Let me know if you add any storage options back there.
-Andrew

DesertStar

Post#17 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:27 am

Andrew, I have some ideas in the works, but leaning on the modular,ease of removal approach rather than permanent. My rear passenger seat is back in. My last trip for which I thought I needed to take my seat out to carry more stuff only allowed me to carry more stuff of which half I did not use. I am learning to pack lighter and get more creative on the storage of only the "must haves".
I will post what I come up with in the next couple of months.
mike

a.mcclean

Post#18 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Mike,
yea figuring out what your actually going to use is always the hard part. I like the modular approach too. That way you can have it if you need, and take it out of the truck when you get to camp so it can be easily accessed, or be used as a seat. A nice alluminum box hung from those rear jump seat brackets with easy disconnect brackets would be my choice. Keep me posted, this seems like a good project for anyone who likes organization on a trip. Which should be all of us :)

Nathansharkey

Post#19 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:53 am

Did anyone ever make the quick disconnect brackets for the rear fold down jump seats?

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”