Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Hannibal Awning w/ Side curtains installed

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
stevegsmith

Hannibal Awning w/ Side curtains installed

Post#1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Hello folks. Just some stuff to share.
This Hannibal awning is designed to bolt onto the Hannibal roof rack (made with 1x2" rectangular tubing). For mounting onto my rack, a little fab job was required. The simple mounting of a length of 1x2 tubing along one side using the existing rack bolts. Turns out the tube is too close to the tent which makes it hard to tuck in the fabric when closing the top shell. I need to move the tube out about a half inch to makes things a little easier going. Something to do during all my spare time I guess.
Nice thing about this awning is that it cantilevers so no poles or wires in the way (especially important when making your way back to the truck after a bit of the "other white wine" and listening to Eric stories). It isn't that expensive either. The whole set up with side curtains can be had for around $750 plus shipping from South Africa. Atlantic British may still carry them but I'd just order directly from Jacques. Send him an email and be prepared to wait a few months. Don't go FedEx, way too expensive.
Attachments
P1020608.JPG
P1020603.JPG
P1020288.JPG

inkblotz

Re: Hannibal Awning w/ Side curtains installed

Post#2 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:44 pm

Way nice dude. It was like open arms welcoming you after a night of stories around the campfire. I am getting a little deep here due in part to the other white wine I am currently working on. :)
Seriously that was a nice compact set-up. Very Germanesque

Mark

DesertStar

Post#3 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:35 am

That is a real cool awning/tent setup. I would paint a sign that reads "The Swamp" for when you go camping. It almost seems big enough to garage that Jeep.
Is that the same setup Craig has on his TLC ?
Mike

stevegsmith

Post#4 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:39 am

You mean the flying Land Cruiser? Yep.

Evidence:
Attachments
P1010664.JPG

reinhardtius

Post#5 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:56 pm

At least your white 300GD doesn't have holes in it from rust. schweet set up steve

stevegsmith

Post#6 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:23 am

They're in Cape Town.
http://www.hannibal.co.za/
It usually takes 24 hours for Jacques to respond. Here's his email address:
info@hannibal.co.za
Telephone: +27 21 534 9050

I called him at 2AM to get the details on the rack. Very nice guy. It took about a week for him to put the order through, then we shipped it with Craig R's FedEx PlantDrive account. I would investigate other shipping methods if I were you, it ended up way too expensive (please don't ask :oops: ).
Approx size for freight quote will be 3.0m x 0.3m x 0.3m weight 25kg's. I believe he can only ship to a business or you'll have to have a shipping account with one of the international carriers. Not sure what the deal was there.

I don't know if he has a bottom panel or not. Good question though. I'm guessing you're thinking about wind. That's what the good ole action packers are for.

Cheers to you all. :geek:

inkblotz

Post#7 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:29 am

One good wind and you could have a Marilyn Monroe photo opp on you hands. :oops: :D

Mark

Jwestpro

Post#8 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Otiswesty wrote:Way cool dude, way.
Is there a panel that can go across the bottom next to the vehicle?

If there are, I'll want some too. I have the 7' and the special rear version with angled clamps that only fit onto the Hannibal made for the Discovery II or the D90.

See my sig for various photos and ARB roof tent on my LR3.

The tent has an "annex" lower section that does have a continuous wrap with zip away door to enter car as well as exit the sides. It's pretty sweet but requires the roof tent to hang from via zipper.

(I'm here because I am thinking about the G as a replacement sometime)

stevegsmith

Post#9 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Jwestpro wrote:
Otiswesty wrote:Way cool dude, way.
Is there a panel that can go across the bottom next to the vehicle?

If there are, I'll want some too. I have the 7' and the special rear version with angled clamps that only fit onto the Hannibal made for the Discovery II or the D90.

See my sig for various photos and ARB roof tent on my LR3.

The tent has an "annex" lower section that does have a continuous wrap with zip away door to enter car as well as exit the sides. It's pretty sweet but requires the roof tent to hang from via zipper.

(I'm here because I am thinking about the G as a replacement sometime)

jwestpro, you're welcome here G or not. Fill in the rest of your profile so we know where you are. And, post some pics so we can see the tent. Sounds cool.

Jwestpro

Post#10 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Ya, I did have a signature filled out already but it didn't show up.... no one seems to have signatures so maybe they don't work on this forum?

To see several photos:

http://www.jwestproductions.com/lr3
Attachments
awning-tents.sasquatch.jpg
pre-roof tent
lr3.tent.rp.jpg
test set-up of roof tent and annex below it's entry. pretty cool.

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”