Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Hannibal Awning w/ Side curtains installed

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
stevegsmith

Re: Hannibal Awning w/ Side curtains installed

Post#11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Wowsa! That's some shelter! Our friend Craig Reece has an awning off the rear as well. Looks great. You must be a fan/supporter of expedition exchange.
Thanks for posting.

Jwestpro

Post#12 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Thanks. As you can imagine, with the rear and left side awnings and the side walls you get a great amount of square footage enclosed then the annex under the tent is even more.

So, today I drove an 03 G500, silver on black optioned w/ upgraded leather, nav, 18's (these were upgrades in 03 I think). Single owner, certified somehow which I learned today only means 12 months past when you buy it.... I'd have to buy the 3 yr version and with it being 53k miles, that ought to take me to 100k miles in about 2 yrs, maybe into three seeing as we split miles over three + vehicles. We often take the Audi for ski weekends and the suv for "bigger" trips, camping, etc.

They have it priced at $40k (39,900) and I'm guessing I could talk it down to $35k but honestly, I see no incentive to do it now vs 6 months or a year from now when I have either A. sold the LR3 or B. made sure I'm better covered if the economy really does tank.... I bought the Audi because I wanted a new one, and a new end of model line V8 S4 Avant with 6spd. The $7500 discount and the .9 apr made it hard to pass up. I don't want a v6 S4 2009 or a used one so I went ahead. That was before the real drop in the market though....

Maybe a new thread....does anyone ever feel image conscious if they have clients who pay them and see the G wagon? Mine see a Discovery or and LR3 as very purposeful but might think they're paying too much of I show up in a G next time, especially my smaller clients who do really cool modern design homes. You can;t just tell them "hey, it was used, cost less than the lr3, etc" because it still has a huge benz emblem. I had the VW Touareg V10 TDI which I bought new... $75k but no one knew what it was, in fact it was "eco" by using veggie fuel ...image is a weird thing.

stevegsmith

Post#13 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:56 pm

Jwestpro wrote:
Maybe a new thread....does anyone ever feel image conscious

I can't speak for the 463 guys but, I have a 460 and most people don't know what the hell it is. In fact, people often think it's a landcruiser or a land rover....if they even venture to guess. I have a silly "eco friendly" personalized plate and a ridiculous sticker across the top of my windshield (Powered by Vegetable Oil) and that is what most people notice. My grill emblem is spray painted dark gray and is hardly noticeable.

Of course I don't have running boards or a stainless spare tire cover or chrome brush guard. Those items have a huge impact. Mike Serpe did a nice job of de-blinging his silver 2002 G500 by removing all that. He topped it off by mounting a PUCH emblem on top of the grill star. Karl "FERNWEH" also de-blinged his by doing pretty much the same thing (in an amazing Fernweh kind of way of course). He kept his brush guard but had it painted to match the body. Larger tires, nice wheels, etc. His is dark gray though, much different than silver. Harald de-blinged his black G500, again, similar fashion. One step further with spray painting his wheels black. Looks awesome. Course he has off-road battle wounds that adds to the roughness. Not intended but not often seen on G's.

I think silver G's are the toughest to de-bling. So, if you're not worried about value retention and don't plan on selling the G for what you paid, pull all that shit off, sell it and offset the purchase, then beat the hell out of the G. Done! You're good to go. Oh, yeah, don't forget the "Powered by Vegetable Oil" sticker. Who's gonna check. ;)

Oh yeah, you can also put black electrical tape in the horizontal rubber trim to cover up the striping.......if you don't like it that is.
Last edited by stevegsmith on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jwestpro

Post#14 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:11 pm

stevegsmith wrote:
Jwestpro wrote:Oh, yeah, don't forget the "Powered by Vegetable Oil" sticker. Who's gonna check. ;)

If only it were.... thanks for the info. Can you help me see those two or any others really set up well? I have not seen anyone on here with theirs lifted slightly using stiffer/taller springs. I have Old Man Emu springs and shocks on my 04 disco that lifted it about 1.5" and sharpened up the handling perfectly from stock. Based on my experience and checking the clearances in the G wheel wells today, I know 32.5" bfg's will fit if at least limiting turning circle a little. 31.7's would be easy as pie - and I already have two sets of 5 of those ;)

One last thing - I have not seen what the bot pattern is on the G, is it by any chance like porsche/vw/audi 5x130?

Would it be stupid to consider 2003 - 2006 G500 and then install the Renntech Supercharger kit for ~$15k ? Kind of like a capable off-roader with some real punch when you want it.

cartop

Post#15 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi ,
I'm new member of this forum. I have a GD 300 mercedes 1987. I bought an Eminent Car Top Tent and I use four years ago. İt is suitable for every weather conditions. I will be very happy to meet this forum members.Image
http://www.carrooftoptent.com

reinhardtius

Post#16 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:15 pm

cartop wrote:Hi ,
I'm new member of this forum. I have a GD 300 mercedes 1987. I bought an Eminent Car Top Tent and I use four years ago. İt is suitable for every weather conditions. I will be very happy to meet this forum members.Image
http://www.carrooftoptent.com

Interesting to see a roof top tent on a removable hard top! Welcome aboard!

Jwestpro

Post#17 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:33 pm

Jwestpro wrote:
stevegsmith wrote:
Jwestpro wrote:Oh, yeah, don't forget the "Powered by Vegetable Oil" sticker. Who's gonna check. ;)

Would it be stupid to consider 2003 - 2006 G500 and then install the Renntech Supercharger kit for ~$15k ? Kind of like a capable off-roader with some real punch when you want it.

The answer is yes, it would be stupid to think about anything other than the factory built G55 and the non-55 is just fine and probably more reliable. I'm still learning....up to 2004 G55 would be the best plan or a G500 of more recent years unless I wait a bit to find a slightly used G550 in a year or so.

reinhardtius

Post#18 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Jwestpro wrote:Ya, I did have a signature filled out already but it didn't show up.... no one seems to have signatures so maybe they don't work on this forum?

To see several photos:

http://www.jwestproductions.com/lr3

Nice LR3 James. That thing is loaded!

Jwestpro

Post#19 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:11 pm

snyder.hunter wrote:
Jwestpro wrote:Ya, I did have a signature filled out already but it didn't show up.... no one seems to have signatures so maybe they don't work on this forum?

To see several photos:

Thank you, it is fun but too bad I pine for the G's .... ;)

I love how the older G's are so no-nonsense but still stylish. How well are these things corrosion protected-through the year models? The old rovers rusted bad like my 1996 disco but the new stuff is at least a fully galvanized body frame.

reinhardtius

Post#20 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:31 am

Jwestpro wrote:
snyder.hunter wrote:

To see several photos:

Thank you, it is fun but too bad I pine for the G's .... ;)

I love how the older G's are so no-nonsense but still stylish. How well are these things corrosion protected-through the year models? The old rovers rusted bad like my 1996 disco but the new stuff is at least a fully galvanized body frame.

Well, let's just say they rust if they aren't properly taken care of. Like most cars, if they sleep under the California sun they are usually rust free. Either that or the desert air, but when they are in environments where most of the roads are covered (not dusted) with salt, they seem to rust. Ever wonder why some of our local governments have budget issues? Maybe if they turned off the salt spreaders when waiting at stop lights so we don't get huge piles of salt + rocks at long stop lights!

Anyway, my white G is thoroughly rusted from living in Maryland for about 18 years because the PO and myself could not afford to remove the rust in an orderly fashion.

Take care of the G and it will take care of you.

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”