Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Low budget fridge option

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
AlanMcR

Re: Low budget fridge option

Post#11 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:42 pm

motoxo wrote:i like my arb 37 quart fridge freeze. weird undocumented feature: it even wirelessly sends it's temp. it comes in bigger than single for life sizes.

I got this wireless (Bluetooth) temperature thingie and couldn't think of what to do with it. Now I know!
...Alan

vadimivanovich

Post#12 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:44 pm

Any idea how to connect & read from it?
"The way you think is the way you live"

motoxo

Post#13 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:41 pm

vadimivanovich wrote:Any idea how to connect & read from it?

i believe you hit the <-> function button four times and it sets it on to "ext"ernal temp or something. i noticed it when i was playing with the buttons. had to call the company because it didn't say anything about it in the manual and i wanted to make sure my fridge/freezer was working right.
-|o
1985 lwb 300gd (mac the turtle)

koly

Post#14 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:55 pm

claytorr wrote:I ended up returning the cooler (was just to big) and have now set my sites on a fridge. I like ARB but am interested if anyone has strong opinions one way or another?

Since it's going in your G, you can go the scratch and dent route and save some $$$.... When I was getting ready to buy my fridge, I regularly checked openboxdirect.com and got a great deal.

Here's a 16qt Engel for $651 (normally ~$800) with free shipping, for example:
http://www.openboxdirect.com/Engel-16-Q ... lt,pd.html

Or an 80qt EdgeStar (that's a pretty big fridge) for $439
http://www.openboxdirect.com/Edgestar-8 ... lt,pd.html

I picked up a 43qt EdgeStar (aka Wynter) scratch & dent for less than the Pelican cooler you returned, and it's still running great 3 years later with lots of desert / off-road trips under it's belt. When it's not in the truck I use it at home for the beer cooler to save kitchen fridge space, so it's basically been running non-stop since I got it. I should have picked up two at the price when I had the chance.

Harald has had good luck with the Edgestar as well - I believe he's got 3 or 4 of them running.

Crank

Post#15 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:52 pm

Argh. You guys are killing me. I have been working on my wife to get a 45qt Pelican Elite... now I'm gonna have to try to get a fridge instead.
-Crank

vadimivanovich

Post#16 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:20 pm

Crank, the fridge really is awesome... but expensive.

For what it's worth as a pre-purchase data point, I initially bought a big "Whynter" fridge. It's good to hear that some people like them, but mine melted it's own plug even though the socket was new & marine-grade. This happened in Death Valley, so in desperation I hot wired it directly into the vehicle wiring - it nearly melted the quick-connects but did run reliably through the trip.

Besides overheating the wires, it seemed to be drawing significantly more current than it should (explains the overheating). This means it pulled my double-size US military battery below 12V in a few hours... not a good feeling when you're in the middle of the dessert.

I'm now using a "Dometic" fridge sold under the Waeco brand in the US. It's ab-fab. Low power, fridge and freezer sections, internal LED lighting, Danfoss compressor, and everywhere a quality build. Even when turned off it will keep food cold extremely well. The Whynter had much worse insulation. No offense to you Whynter owners - I think the giant size I had was just too much for it. Maybe the smaller ones are better.

Good luck with the "convincing". I think as she crunches down her mint-pomegranate Popsicle when you're camping this summer, she'll forget all about how much it cost!
"The way you think is the way you live"

AlanMcR

Post#17 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:06 pm

Can't remember where you are located, but this is a deal:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... 0-shipping
...Alan

koly

Post#18 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:15 pm

Crank wrote:Argh. You guys are killing me. I have been working on my wife to get a 45qt Pelican Elite... now I'm gonna have to try to get a fridge instead.

here's my sales pitch for your wife:

background: I live in Arizona, and so does my mother.

Before I bought my own fridge, I bought a fridge for her for Christmas 5 years ago. She looked at me like I was a martian: "ooooh… a fridge… for my car?" She has a minivan. She never even travels on a dirt road, so obviously, I didn't get it for her for off-highway travel purposes.

Then summer hit.

I have been NUMBER ONE SON ever since. Every summer, I get a multiple phone calls telling me how awesome it is to be able to buy groceries and, instead of having to speed home, she can; see a movie, shop for other things, take the grandkids to swimming, etc etc etc.

In any climate with severe weather, you plan your travel around the weather. In AZ in the summer, you go home immediately after grocery store trips; outside temps 118, inside the car it's 125 easy. Your lettuce wilts before you get home. Ice cream becomes whole milk.

With the fridge, you can serve people ice cream on the trail in the middle of a 120 degree day. Or just chill your cerveça.

Skip the cooler.

grazza

Post#19 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:47 am

Good for outdoor parties at home too. Sits next to the BBQ.

I have a Primus 47L which has performed very well, used recently on a 2 month trip.
Its good to have the set-and-forget temp setting.

Crank

Post#20 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Hmmm. Looks like those Dometic CF40's are running around $580+ shipped these days. Is that the best fridge out there for that sort of price and size?
-Crank

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”