This has been on my list for years. I've looked at all kinds of options and kits and finally decided to just make the damn thing. I figured if it didn't work out well enough, then I'd go for the Frontrunner thing. I mean, why not? Who needs to save money for their kids education? Right?!
Still not done. Needs the drawer fronts and closers. Ordered.
For the height, I settled on just sitting on top of the wheel wells. Using a piece of 1/4 Aloooominium for the deck, I had just enough room for the fridge door to open completely without bumping into the ceiling. Sure, I could have gotten an ARB or Engel with a narrower body and thus a short lid...but this way, I can handle most extremes. True, once the back seat is folded down, it's not quite high enough to make a level sleeping platform but one could always add some material to make it work and besides, I usually sleep on the roof or on the ground.
Aluminum sheet was ordered a couple inches large then cut on a CNC plasma table. It's knotched in the forward corners to make room for the rear seat belt rolls. There are two bolts in each side that penetrate the wheel well. I contact-cemented a layer 1/8" hard rubber textured matting on the top of the deck and nosed it at the rear with a shallow aluminum angle.
The drawer case was made out of 1/2" prefinished maple ply. It's a tad lighter than 1/2" 9-ply Finnish Birch marine ply..not to mention at least half the price....and easier to get....oh, and likely strong enough. The case is 9 3/8" high, 37 1/2"" wide, and 36 1/2" deep. There are two pieces of 1x2x26" attached on the sides of the case and flush with the top. Those are for the screws that I put in through the top of the deck.
So, the deck is attached to the wheel wells and the drawer case is attached to the deck. If I need to get to the fuel sender access panel, I can put the rear seat forward, remove the case screws, and slide the unit forward far enough to roll up the cargo mat. Yeah, a pain, but it's the price you pay for this kind of simplicity.
I already had the drawer slides sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I used full length 27" medium duty slides. Yeah, I coulda used heavy duty 36" slides but those weren't sitting on my shelf collecting dust. Another day I guess..if these fail.
Last piece to finish, the drawer fronts. I left a 3/8" overhang off the back for 1/4" drawer fronts. The current plan is to use either 1/4" aluminum or 1/4" plywood covered in the same interior plaid upholstery. I'm leaning toward the later. I just ordered some black Southco M1 lockable flush slam latches which will hopefully work. I'll post those pics when I get them on.
Peace. Namaste. Beer. Amen. Beer.