Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Cargo Area Storage Drawers

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
RITX

Cargo Area Storage Drawers

Post#1 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:42 am

I've been searching the web for a storage unit to go between the wheel wells in my G550. A single large drawer would suffice but would prefer two drawers.

I'd appreciate any leads on this, hoping to find a ready made solution as opposed to a custom fabrication.

vadimivanovich

Re: Cargo Area Storage Drawers

Post#2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:58 am

"The way you think is the way you live"

monday

Post#3 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:28 pm

^^ Have been drooling after this one for a while may pick it up soon.

One thing I have heard from a member (I think on here) is that the top metal is very thin and you may want to retro fit a thicker board on top of you plan on mounting a slide rack for something like a fridge.. Is this true?

vadimivanovich

Post#4 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:56 pm

I have a SWB so have not purchased one (they don't yet offer one for my G). I can say that their other products are well made with appropriately durable materials.

If, for instance, they use a thinner gauge of sheet-metal but it's cold-rolled instead of less expensive hot-rolled, you will have excellent strength without the unnecessary weight.

I don't know what they use but am confident that it's solid.

FWIW

RITX

Post#5 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:44 pm

Thanks for the input, I really like the frontrunner outfitters product unfortunately out of stock for 6-8 weeks but its on my list to buy when they have them.

stevegsmith

Post#6 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:29 pm

This has been on my list for years. I've looked at all kinds of options and kits and finally decided to just make the damn thing. I figured if it didn't work out well enough, then I'd go for the Frontrunner thing. I mean, why not? Who needs to save money for their kids education? Right?!

Still not done. Needs the drawer fronts and closers. Ordered.

For the height, I settled on just sitting on top of the wheel wells. Using a piece of 1/4 Aloooominium for the deck, I had just enough room for the fridge door to open completely without bumping into the ceiling. Sure, I could have gotten an ARB or Engel with a narrower body and thus a short lid...but this way, I can handle most extremes. True, once the back seat is folded down, it's not quite high enough to make a level sleeping platform but one could always add some material to make it work and besides, I usually sleep on the roof or on the ground.

Aluminum sheet was ordered a couple inches large then cut on a CNC plasma table. It's knotched in the forward corners to make room for the rear seat belt rolls. There are two bolts in each side that penetrate the wheel well. I contact-cemented a layer 1/8" hard rubber textured matting on the top of the deck and nosed it at the rear with a shallow aluminum angle.

The drawer case was made out of 1/2" prefinished maple ply. It's a tad lighter than 1/2" 9-ply Finnish Birch marine ply..not to mention at least half the price....and easier to get....oh, and likely strong enough. The case is 9 3/8" high, 37 1/2"" wide, and 36 1/2" deep. There are two pieces of 1x2x26" attached on the sides of the case and flush with the top. Those are for the screws that I put in through the top of the deck.

So, the deck is attached to the wheel wells and the drawer case is attached to the deck. If I need to get to the fuel sender access panel, I can put the rear seat forward, remove the case screws, and slide the unit forward far enough to roll up the cargo mat. Yeah, a pain, but it's the price you pay for this kind of simplicity.

I already had the drawer slides sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I used full length 27" medium duty slides. Yeah, I coulda used heavy duty 36" slides but those weren't sitting on my shelf collecting dust. Another day I guess..if these fail.

Last piece to finish, the drawer fronts. I left a 3/8" overhang off the back for 1/4" drawer fronts. The current plan is to use either 1/4" aluminum or 1/4" plywood covered in the same interior plaid upholstery. I'm leaning toward the later. I just ordered some black Southco M1 lockable flush slam latches which will hopefully work. I'll post those pics when I get them on.

Peace. Namaste. Beer. Amen. Beer.

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG
Steve

AlanMcR

Post#7 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:57 pm

Oh, jeez, look who is all neat and tidy now!
...Alan

stevegsmith

Post#8 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:35 pm

Ha! ;-)
Steve

vadimivanovich

Post#9 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:24 pm

What, no dovetail?

stevegsmith

Post#10 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:15 am

Sure, they're just called Simpson GA2's.
Steve

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”