Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

SATELLITE RADIO FOR MY 1986 230-GE CABRIO

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
K-Nine

SATELLITE RADIO FOR MY 1986 230-GE CABRIO

Post#1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:14 am

I would like to install an after-market Satellite Radio in my 230-GE Cabrio.

Has anyone here installed one?

If so, what brand of radio did you purchase?

Where did you mount the antenna?

Are you happy with the radio, etc.,?

Hopefully, on this G-Forum, my post will be considered as an acceptable G related post, I tried it on P3, and it was removed as off-topic. :cry:

reinhardtius

Re: SATELLITE RADIO FOR MY 1986 230-GE CABRIO

Post#2 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:34 am

K-Nine wrote:I would like to install an after-market Satellite Radio in my 230-GE Cabrio.

Has anyone here installed one?

If so, what brand of radio did you purchase?

Where did you mount the antenna?

Are you happy with the radio, etc.,?

Hopefully, on this G-Forum, my post will be considered as an acceptable G related post, I tried it on P3, and it was removed as off-topic. :cry:

Gar, P3 admins.

I know many of these satellite radios can plug into a simple auxiliary input (RED + WHITE RCA inputs or 1/8" input) in a mediocre head unit. My buddy has Sirius radio receiver in his F150 truck going through a very simple head unit via auxiliary input. He has this one

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... 7ST4&tp=85

But I would never buy from Crutchfield, way overpriced.

Just my two cents

James_Van_Thach

Post#3 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:41 pm

K-Nine,

I use to own a 1986 280GE with a Pioneer Nav, DVD, SAT Radio. The SAT radio antenna was installed by running the cable through the side interior of the vehicle and then to the rear above cargo door with a magnet to the roof.

Below are photos, of how the Pioneer Nav, DVD, SAT Radio was installed in my G-Wagen.

Pioneer AVIC-N2 DVD/CD/navigation receiver with 6.5" monitor, SAT Radio: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HE4S2YohtI ... D2+pioneer

Respectfully,

James Van Thach
Attachments
Pioneer Nav, DVD, SAT Radio for G-Class photo 3.jpg
Pioneer Nav, DVD, SAT Radio for G-Class photo 2.jpg
Pioneer Nav, DVD, SAT Radio for G-Class photo 2.jpg (38.32 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
Pioneer Nav, DVD, SAT Radio for G-Class photo 1.jpg
Pioneer Nav, DVD, SAT Radio for G-Class photo 1.jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Last edited by James_Van_Thach on Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevegsmith

Post#4 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:46 am

K-nine,
A few years ago I installed a Delphi XM unit. Only took a couple of hours and no holes were necessary. I'm thinking about changing out the receiver unit for a smaller one.
Good luck.
Steve
Attachments
Photo Library - 451.jpg
Photo Library - 450.jpg
Photo Library - 448.jpg

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”