Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Stainless fender mounting brackets

If you designed it yourself, or made it yourself (not bought), post it here showing how you did it, before and after photos, and testing in the field.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
G500Pur

Stainless fender mounting brackets

Post#1 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:53 am

I recently pulled my fender liners, arches and fenders off of my 1999 G500. I was dismayed by the condition of some of the brackets holding the plastic pieces in place. They had all rusted and some of them were getting a little thin. I remembered Hans Hehl had done a write up on fabricating stainless replacement brackets and decided that I would do the same.
http://www.hehlhans.de/engtipp1.htm
I ordered a couple of new brackets from Mercedes. They are normally $20 each retail, and 16 are required per vehicle. Not wanting to fork over $320 for a new set, I pounded one of them flat and ended up spending quite a bit of time working on a sheet of stainless before finally throwing in the towel. There is a sheet metal and fabrication shop down the street from where I work, so I brought in new dealer supplied flat and formed samples to get an estimate for making a handful of them. They used a CAD program and laser cut them, doing a nice job of duplicating the flattened bracket and with a couple of whacks with a hammer in a vise and I had new stainless brackets on the G. I ended up having a hundred of them cut and will be selling off the extras to cover my costs.
Cheers 8-)
Attachments
Rusty.jpg
Old rusty bracket
NewBracket.jpg
Old, new MB, flat MB, new SS
SSBrackets.jpg
pile of new SS brackets
Rear Stainless.jpg
Rear fender
Front Stainless.jpg
Front fender
Last edited by G500Pur on Sat May 23, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gwanabe

Re: Stainless fender mounting brackets

Post#2 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:07 pm

I'm going to need a set of these for when I pull the fender flares to paint them.

G500Pur

Post#3 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:29 pm

I have used 16 of these stainless brackets. Fully installed, about 2 minutes of labor per bracket for the bends. There are 84 pieces left over. I am trying to cover the costs of production and the 2 new brackets that I bought from the dealer.

So I have 5 extra sets of 16 brackets in stainless flat plate. $100 per set shipped.

G500camp@gmail.com

Please let me know if any one wants a set. I may keep an extra set for myself depending on if they sell quickly, as it is unlikely that I will make any more.

G500Pur

Post#4 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:43 am

1 set is now sold

G500Pur

Post#5 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:58 pm

One set remaining

G500Pur

Post#6 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:56 am

I still have one set of 16 brackets left over that is still for sale. These are deeply discounted over MB new price of $20+ per piece and below pricing for the aftermarket fully formed stainless pieces at double this price. Once this set is sold, I will not have any more available.

G500Pur

Post#7 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:53 pm

These are all sold.
I do have a half dozen singles left if any one wants them for $6 each, shipped. Just PM me.

bentrod

Post#8 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:03 pm

Wow I'm finding this way late. My 90 300GD needs all of them too.

vadimivanovich

Post#9 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:40 pm

Locked Up sells them now as a kit. Super nice parts! Thanks to both Erics!
"The way you think is the way you live"

bentrod

Post#10 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:50 pm

Is Locked Up a user name here? Estore? I tried the search. Sorry I sound stupid lol.

Return to “Ingenuity and Fabrication: Modifications Made by Clubgwagen Members from Scratch”