Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Sagging G500?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
OregonH1

Sagging G500?

Post#1 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi all...Newbie here. I have a 2002 G500 and when I look at the car it seems that the driver's side sits a little bit lower than the passenger's side. Has anybody had this problem? The car otherwise runs and drives fine with no problems. As far as I can tell, and with looking all over the car and running carfax and all, there has never been any accidents with the car.

Does the springs fade over time or is this a shock problem or some other problem? What can I do to level the car out? I love my G500 and this won't be a reason for me to sell my car, but it does bug me a little bit. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks all,

Steve

oiiio

Re: Sagging G500?

Post#2 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:37 pm

may be you can swap left front-rear springs to right front-rear springs?

jon joseph

Post#3 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi Steve

This is a commonly noted issue. I say issue because it doesn't seem to have any really appreciable negative effects. (Except possibly conflicting with you political leanings!)
Have you measured the difference? What is it?
There is a factory approved method for adjusting this lean. It may not work for really excessive lean and the jury is still out as to weather or not it will last very long.
There is some play in the attachment points of the axle trailing arms which have two points of attachment at the frame. If these fastenings are loosened and allowed to move to the other end of their travel and re-tightened it will adjust the height of the vehicle on that side. By allowing one side to drop down and pushing the other side up a significant change in attitude can be achieved.
I'll try to find the official document for you and maybe some pictures of the job.

Jonathan

OregonH1

Post#4 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Thank you Jon for the info. I would appreciate it very much if you could post the pictures of the job. As for the difference it is about 1.5-2", not a huge amount but enough that I can notice it when the car is parked in the driveway.

Thanks again and best regards,

Steve

jon joseph

Post#5 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:44 am

Here's a link to one discussion on Pointed Three

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums ... ch#M146329

here's a second thread

http://pointedthree.com/disc/forums/sho ... 35&start=1

and here's the factory procedure described, not really to informative
Attachments
Picture 1.png

Gelande

Post#6 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:39 pm

It's interesting because it is suggesting that the springs are equal, and that the difference (cause of the sag) is that the sagging side's axle end is aligned to the frame too far forward, stretching the spring on a forward angle.

Dealing with these often, the plastic hammer is not always enough, but the threads are very at risk.

I usually don't take the nut all the way off, I bring it back just to where the top of the nut is flush with the end of the bolt part of the arm. It protects the threads when hammering. Then you can use a piece of wood and a better hammer and give a good whack.

I find it odd that they don't mention looking into the other side also being off (nut on too much in comparison to the other)

You can use those same washers from the front that mercedes sells for the back I think....I have always just machined them or used other stock from my drawer.

-mike

jonathan joseph

Post#7 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:41 am

Mike
It "ALL" depends on how big a plastic hammer you have!
Attachments
hammer2.jpg

Oregon_Bob

Post#8 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:41 pm

This is really common on MGBs. The brits actually call in the "Bachelor Lean" or "Bachelor Sag" because constant weight on only the driver side does actually wear out the shocks and springs unevenly. :-)

Certainly a different cause on an overbuilt vehicle like the G.
2004 G500
2007 SLK350

"I'm not entirely sure what Step Two of this plan is..."

Return to “Tech: Suspension”