Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

W460 OEM Spring Replacement

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
reinhardtius

W460 OEM Spring Replacement

Post#1 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi guys,

I'd like to tone down the offroad prowess of my G Wagen by reverting to the stock shocks and springs while retaining the 35" tires that I have on the G currently. I don't think I can go much smaller with the sort of gearing I have in there, and I think the stock ride height will be better for me since I hardly ever get to really push the G to its limits (guess my balls are too small)

My questions:

1 - Can I fit the stock suspension back on the G fairly easily? The chassis tubes have already been cut to accommodate the tires. Will I rub anywhere?

2- What are the part numbers I will need to make the switch? I prefer to use Bilstein shocks as I've had a lot of luck with them in other cars (and in my old G).

3- Anyone want to trade my shock and spring kit for a good set of springs and shocks plus cash?

I'm pretty sure I can put the suspension in myself (never done suspension work on a G before, but did a full coilover replacement on an e36 M3 three weeks ago and it was pretty easy...)

Thoughts, hints, part numbers, harassment and anything ya got would be much appreciated.

Hunter

Gelande

Re: W460 OEM Spring Replacement

Post#2 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:59 am

1 - Can I fit the stock suspension back on the G fairly easily? The chassis tubes have already been cut to accommodate the tires. Will I rub anywhere?

Yes you will rub, switch down to 33's if you drop down the car to stock height.

2- What are the part numbers I will need to make the switch? I prefer to use Bilstein shocks as I've had a lot of luck with them in other cars (and in my old G).

Stock springs are the yellow or green stripe versions. Shocks are whatever you choose.
Bilstein is stiffer, better for the street, Sachs are softer, but more durable both offroad and long term.

3- Anyone want to trade my shock and spring kit for a good set of springs and shocks plus cash?

?????? plus cash????

I'm pretty sure I can put the suspension in myself (never done suspension work on a G before, but did a full coilover replacement on an e36 M3 three weeks ago and it was pretty easy...)

you can it is very easy!

Thoughts, hints, part numbers, harassment and anything ya got would be much appreciated.

Check the EPC it has all the numbers for you.

reinhardtius

Post#3 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:02 am

mserpe wrote:1 - Can I fit the stock suspension back on the G fairly easily? The chassis tubes have already been cut to accommodate the tires. Will I rub anywhere?

Yes you will rub, switch down to 33's if you drop down the car to stock height.

Stock springs are the yellow or green stripe versions. Shocks are whatever you choose.
Bilstein is stiffer, better for the street, Sachs are softer, but more durable both offroad and long term.

?????? plus cash????

you can it is very easy!

Check the EPC it has all the numbers for you.

I can run 33's with 6.17s?

Yes, plus cash! They are aluminum shocks and the springs are very nice as well I think they are worth more than the stock shocks and springs

Dai C

Post#4 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:48 pm

I have a set of stock springs for the SWB. PM me and we can talk by phone. I am in the middle of harvest and have not looked a this computer for a couple of days.

-Dai

reinhardtius

Post#5 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:04 pm

Mike,

Are sureee I will rub? Harald ran 35"s on his LWB with stock ride height, right? I'm willing to cut down some of the front fender body moulding to make it work. I just can't afford another set of tires :(

Can I keep my shocks and just switch out the springs? Or am I going to risk blowing the shocks since they are designed for long travel motions? I'm afriad the 'piston' will like smack the top of the shock maybe when going over a speed bump or something. I really don't know what I'm talking about. :oops:

Titus

Post#6 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:09 pm

Harald was using red coils for his LWB.
I had red aswell on my SWB and 35" fit no problem.
Need to replace the shocks - they will bottom too much and will be gone in no time.
Changing the suspension is fairly easy - at one point I was changing it 3 times a day.

Listen to Mike - he knows :lol:

reinhardtius

Post#7 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:50 pm

Titus wrote:Harald was using red coils for his LWB.
I had red aswell on my SWB and 35" fit no problem.
Need to replace the shocks - they will bottom too much and will be gone in no time.
Changing the suspension is fairly easy - at one point I was changing it 3 times a day.

Listen to Mike - he knows :lol:

Anyone want to trade front reds and rear whites plus shocks for my 3" suspension setup?

Titus

Post#8 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:34 pm

snyder.hunter wrote:
Anyone want to trade front reds and rear whites plus shocks for my 3" suspension setup?
This is exactly what I had in my SWB, sold the truck so cant help.

Return to “Tech: Suspension”