Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Sag to the right

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Locked up

Sag to the right

Post#1 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:07 am

Since my 617a conversion, I've noticed a slight sag on the front right. When I park the G, you can see the right front is about 1.5 - 2" lower than the left. Was there a different front spring for the factory 300GD's?

EuroTruck

Re: Sag to the right

Post#2 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Brown stripe springs for both the SWB 280GE and SWB 300GD.

You probably have a tired spring. G's need a little help getting it up sometimes. :lol:

On that note, if you can wait a few months, we will have a boatload (quite literally) of springs coming from Germany that are made by SACHS. The springs are less expensive than the MB springs, are of very high quality and the rears come with the anti-vibration hoses already installed, which is an added bonus. As you know, the MB springs typically come with one, two or three stripes painted on them, with the latter being the most stiff version. SACHS springs are made to the two stripe specification, which is right in the middle stiffness wise.

Give Steve D. a shout tomorrow and he can give you the details. 1-866-580-3586

Best,

-Sean Philyaw
http://www.gwagenstore.com

Dai C

Post#3 » Tue May 19, 2009 7:35 pm

My stock SWB springs were yellow and green.

I would say before you start down the slippery slope of spring switching consider replacing the shocks if they are shot. I think that change is one of the most fundamental things I have done to the truck. Koni's are remarkable. Also it is possible to fit spacers called trimpackers to the fronts to make fine tuning adjustment. They can be added to the top and bottom if needed. They are very inexpensive and they work. They are a 115 chassis part number and they fit the front springs perfectly.

-Dai

Locked up

Post#4 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks Dai!

I like the low dollar fix. What does this trimpacker look like? a shim, or some sort of cap?

EuroTruck

Post#5 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:01 am

Dai C wrote:
My stock SWB springs were yellow and green.

-Dai

Hello Dai,

I hope that you had a very nice long Memorial Day weekend.

Your stock springs, according to your VIN and the EPC, should be Brown fronts and Green rears.

It seems as though your fronts have been changed at some point to the SWB front Yellow springs.

No harm done there. The browns are just a little taller with a slightly bigger wire diameter, so the Yellows are giving you a little softer ride.

Take care,

-Sean Philyaw
http://www.eurotruck-importers.com

Dai C

Post#6 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:28 am

The "Trimpackers" that fit the front springs are A 115 325 24 44. They were designed for 115 chassis springs but fit the G fronts perfectly and can be purchaced at a dealership for reasonable cost. They can be used top and bottom if needed. They give you 15-20 mm and eliminate any noise from the spring moving in its perch.

Sean, those yellow springs are way too soft, body roll in corners etc.

I am using White three stripe fronts and one stripe Lilacs in the rear. A bit stiff for some but I really like the set up for what I need my truck to do. It will handle a load and handles like a dream. Those springs and Koni shocks have made the truck better than new.

-Dai

Return to “Tech: Suspension”