Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Has anyone Supercharged a 280GE with an M110 engine?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
ridgeman

Has anyone Supercharged a 280GE with an M110 engine?

Post#1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:11 pm

A racing mechanic friend of mine said I should supercharge my
'G'. He said it could be accomplished, fully installed , for $4,000.
He has supercharged many other vehicles, mostly Lotus Elise
sportscars among many other vehicles. Any comments concerning
the pro's and con's would be appreciated.

reinhardtius

Re: Has anyone Supercharged a 280GE with an M110 engine?

Post#2 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:26 pm

For 3.5k more you can have a rebuilt turbo diesel engine and rebuilt (by mercedes of toronto) installed by warren. supercharging doesn't sound like a reliable option to me...

Not to be rude, but perhaps we can help. Why would you want to supercharge? For more power? Just for the heck of it?

Titus

Post#3 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:25 pm

If you want more power for way less than 4G you can swap to 5.0l V8.
Other than that I know people who turboed those engines.

kmaser

Post#4 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:55 pm

Does anyone have details of the V8 swap ?

Gelande

Post#5 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:57 pm

The difference between superchargers and turbochargers comes down to how they are driven
The SC is driven off the crank of the motor, and on average consumes up to 33% of the motors power just to drive it, this amount shrinks as engine power specs go up (ie: dragster motors)
The supercharger's benefit is that it comes on immediately with no lag. Daimler has used them since 1900, they are nothing new and no problem to use, but they are usually not that efficient in this type of application (the G), they are more for a muscle car, going in a straight line, wanting to accelerate fast.

Modern ones do a better job with a more linear curve of power. There is no "turbo lag" here.

One other benefit of the SC is that it uses fresh air, so head temps always stay low, which is good for engine longevity on motors that run hot.....like M110s!

I think it is overall, and interesting concept, and would be neat to try so long as it is efficient. You have to map it. You also have to reflow the whole engine, head, manifolds, exhaust, injection tuning, it's a big job to get it all right.

-mike

schuhe

Post#6 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:19 pm

If power is the issue, buy some American junk and drive like you are nuts!!

The best engine (is suspect) is the 617a for the Gwagen. It is really sad that DB did not install that engine in the G. All others have limitations, including the 290 and 270 Direct injection and turbo engines. Too much electrical stuff for real remote work.

The 617 is just fine, but if you really need addition torque or HP, the 617a is the answer. No eletronics, and dependability that exceeds perhaps any engine know to God and man.

IMHO

Tom

Gelande

Post#7 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:05 am

Tom is right, it offers the best balance.

The other cheapo way to get some power in a 460 if you don't want diesel, is to get the engine from the 1983 era 380SL or 380SE, etc. These fit into the G with just custom motor mounts, everything else fits in nice, and should mate to transmissions no problem. This is a lightweight small block 3.8 litre 8 cyl that is aluminum. Overall it seems to weigh very close to what the M110 weighs.

Now, throw some high compression heads on a 380 motor and flow it, and you've got one hell of a cheap hot-rodded G

ridgeman

Post#8 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:26 am

Thanks for all the info. I guess my thoughts about added power
were fueled by that scene in the Bourne movie that had this
KGB agent commandeer a 'G' and chased Bourne with a vengeance
throughout the city, highways and tunnels in Russia. I have to
admit that I thought it should have handled that large concrete
pillar it got crumpled by when it crashed head-on into it. Aren't
'G's' supposed to be invincible?

schuhe

Post#9 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:46 am

Ouch! Another movie that my sensitive side does not have to watch. Crashing a perfectly OK Gwagen just to sell films - there is something very wrong about modern life and the need for damnaged stuff as recreation.

A good title for a G wrecking thriller: Entropy - the force that keeps on taking.

The 380 engine, Mike. Is that the one with the single roller timing chain? That would need to be upgraded to a double roller chain, I am sure. Lots of really nice 380SLs out there ate themselves to death thanks to that small flaw. The double chain can last a long long time, by comparison.

Tschues,

Tom

Indiana Drew

Post#10 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:01 am

ridgeman wrote:A racing mechanic friend of mine said I should supercharge my
'G'. He said it could be accomplished, fully installed , for $4,000.
He has supercharged many other vehicles, mostly Lotus Elise
sportscars among many other vehicles. Any comments concerning
the pro's and con's would be appreciated.

If you can track down Oskar he has done one ... I recalled this post on a [url]Supercharger Forum http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... tQO2_r3IDg[/url] ...

Search several Forums and you will find some of his threads ...

Return to “Tech: Petrol Engines”