Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

1998 G320 - Belt jumped off

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
joef

1998 G320 - Belt jumped off

Post#1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:17 pm

Go figure, finally get the audio sorted out last night in my wifes g320. I take it to run one of the kids around and I get the dash flashing a battery issue followed by no power steering and overheating. I found the belt not where it should be
Its on its way to my mechanics right now and I'm trying to be proactive incase their is something that needs to be ordered - a tensioner perhaps
There may be some issues with looking up parts since 1998 G320's were not imported into Canada. In case a tensioner is needed could someone please post the part number for me.
Any info would be appreciated.

inkblotz

Re: 1998 G320 - Belt jumped off

Post#2 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:44 am

joef wrote:Go figure, finally get the audio sorted out last night in my wifes g320. I take it to run one of the kids around and I get the dash flashing a battery issue followed by no power steering and overheating. I found the belt not where it should be
Its on its way to my mechanics right now and I'm trying to be proactive incase their is something that needs to be ordered - a tensioner perhaps
There may be some issues with looking up parts since 1998 G320's were not imported into Canada. In case a tensioner is needed could someone please post the part number for me.
Any info would be appreciated.

Check to see if the Mercedes-Benz E320 Harmonic Balancer recall affects yours. One of there suppliers provided defective units. If it grenades it can cause a mess taking other components with it.
I have included the PDF.

Summary: The rubber bond in the harmonic balancer can decay, which causes the balancer to move and work its way toward the timing cover. If the balancer comes into contact with the timing cover while the engine is running, it will fracture and damage the cover and potentially other surrounding parts. The harmonic balancer should be inspected at every service.

The affected part numbers are: A112.035.00.00 and A112.035.06.00

Mark
Attachments
HARMONIC BALANCER RECALL.pdf
(592.4 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Return to “Tech: Petrol Engines”