Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

W460 M110 Cooling System Bleeding

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
reinhardtius

W460 M110 Cooling System Bleeding

Post#1 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Hey Gang,

Simple question - how do I bleed my cooling system on my 280GE? I am overheating under a lot of power (65-75mph for 15 minutes the car overheats and blows all the coolant out of the overflow hose). I am convinced it's not bled correctly.

HOW DO I DO IT? :twisted:

Thanks,

Hunter

Gelande

Re: W460 M110 Cooling System Bleeding

Post#2 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:16 am

I'm pretty sure Mark explained it on the other thread to you....there is usually a bleed at the pump, which you unscrew to open up. You run it till bubbles don't come out.

Obviously you only do this when the car is not hot.

Iver460

Post#3 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:13 am

I've also been troubled with trapped air in my coolant system at times. What does it for me is to find the steepest slope around, drive up and stop when half way, put the heater on full (helps a lot for me, as I've got the nordic heater with electric circulation pump) and let it rev a bit for a minute or so. Top of with coolant and repeat. Never failed me!

reinhardtius

Post#4 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks guys, I ask again because I don't remember seeing a bleed screw when I was working on it and I am not near the truck. I will be home soon to bleed it, but I thought I would ask. I'll try and see if it's there when I get back and try your method Iver460.

Thanks again!

Hunter

DesertStar

Post#5 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:24 am

I just looked at my 85 and 84 M110 and do not see any "bleeding provisions". I did notice a line fastened with a banjo bolt that attaches below the upper hose on the housing....see photos below.
FWIW, I have changed my coolant at least 4 times since I have owned it and never bled it....maybe lucky. My heating issues stopped once I recored my radiator and used proper coolant mixture.
A look in the M110 factory manual mentions nothing regarding bleeding that I can find.

On a side note, it would seem if you want to get air out of system (if there is any) park on some car ramps or whatever to get the radiator elevated higher than motor (naturally should be) and run a bit with radiator cap off and heater on full on.

Mike
Attachments
DSCF0005 [800x600].JPG
DSCF0006 [800x600].JPG

reinhardtius

Post#6 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:28 am

Whew mama, yeah it runs 1/4 on the temp gauge and then when you really give it to her (75 ish for longer than 15 minutes) it overheats. We checked the head gaskets to make sure there was no damage and the test passed with no head gasket leak. I'll park it on a steep grade and make sure all the air comes out. Thanks for the info, Mike! Just what I needed!

Hunter
Last edited by DesertStar on Fri May 15, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit in error returned original post

reinhardtius

Post#7 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:29 am

Ah, and btw I have a radiator standing by, I'm going to put that in too while I'm at it.

DesertStar

Post#8 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:00 pm

snyder.hunter wrote: I'll park it on a steep grade and make sure all the air comes out. Thanks for the info, Mike! Just what I needed!

Hunter

Keep in mind, I have never done this. Google resulted in info with other models on the same subject.
http://www.allpar.com/fix/radiator-purge.html

Mike

reinhardtius

Post#9 » Fri May 15, 2009 1:34 pm

I'll keep it in mind, it does make sense though...

macfun

Post#10 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:03 pm

DesertStar wrote:I just looked at my 85 and 84 M110 and do not see any "bleeding provisions". I did notice a line fastened with a banjo bolt that attaches below the upper hose on the housing....see photos below.
Mike

Hello from Belgium.

I had such a overheating problem after water pump replacement.
I "simply" had to release a little the "banjo" screw (on the steel pipe) on the left of the picture.
Air bleeded, temp went back to normal.
HTH

Return to “Tech: Petrol Engines”