Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

M110 oil leak question

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
jonathan joseph

M110 oil leak question

Post#1 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:07 am

What are the most likely spots for oil leaks on the front of an M110? I'm working on a truck with a real bad leak or leaks. First thing to do is valve cover gasket. Also power steering pump gasket is hard as a rock and leaking.
The primary leak seems to be engine oil though, and lots of it. I'm assuming front main seal but it's really hard to see. I'm not very familiar with this engine. There appear to be some side covers in the block under the exhaust manifold? Do these open to oil passages? The front most one is soaked with oil, but maybe it's just coming from the F.M. seal. Anything else to consider before tearing into the crankpulley?

Jonathan

DesertStar

Re: M110 oil leak question

Post#2 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 am

I never had much in the leak department in front of the motor other than intake manifold gasket and power steering hose. In fact, the fan can "suck" oil from other areas (like power steering) and display it on the front of the motor.
Is the "leak" more towards the top of the motor ? or from waterpump down ?
Mike

jonathan joseph

Post#3 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:44 am

Mostly towards the bottom half of the motor. It seems to be flung out towards the bottom of the alternator and frame rails on both sides. Except up on the passenger side under the exhaust manifold where those bolt on cover like things are on the side of the block. It's a little higher there.

Jonathan

DesertStar

Post#4 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:10 am

Mine is damp below the exhaust manifolds...but not to the point of excessive dripping or adding oil between changes. I always thought it was seeping from manifold gasket...never pursued it once I succumbed to the fact that a W460 is a tractor and tractors are known to leak a bit.
I wish I could help more. Is the dipstick tube seated properly ?
Mike

Return to “Tech: Petrol Engines”