Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

heater valve troubles

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
syncro_G

Re: heater valve troubles

Post#11 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:13 pm

inkblotz wrote:Additionally in your current configuration on your dash opening would be closing and closing would be opening right? I don't suppose you tried it in the open position (thus making it closed) ;)

I think I need a beer.

Mark

it was controlled correctly but as you pointed out, it is backwards.
I have the cable attatched to it from above. It looks like in your picture that the cable comes up from below.

(fwiw, I think Sean said these came in two flavors depending on which direction the cable attaches to it)

I just checked the other one on the bench and indeed, you can blow through it in one direction but if blowing in the proper direction, it holds the pressure.

inkblotz

Post#12 » Sun May 09, 2010 3:52 am

Glad it worked out.

Mark

schuhe

Post#13 » Sun May 09, 2010 6:01 am

Nice call, Mark. I was reading this and spinning a theory about right-hand vs. left-hand drive placement and function of the valve...but had not noticed the flipped valve. You get the Eagle Eye Award! Were you in photo analysis work once upon a time? It must be your attention to detail profession!

In recent years (the product of aging?) I have found it very helpful to take photos of projects before I really get into them, and at critical stages of disassembly. I recently removed the front bumper, grill, and all related bits, as well as rear bumpers, mud flaps, etc. for powdercoating. Four weeks went by before I could reassemble things, and there were a couple of times when the photos enhanced my spacial-reasoning & parts-assembly speed/memory. Swaping out entire engines with other-than-original arrangements adds a new variability to the reassembly process. Your engine bay looks very well sorted-out and neatly done, Christian.

syncro_G

Post#14 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:11 am

Thanks Tom,

What threw me was that the valve had no direction arrows. I figured the design was bi-directional.
But after Mark's observation, I looked a little more carefully and found in fine text "wasser-einright" or some such thing. A google translate confirmed that that was the inlet side and the valve was indeed backwards.

The result is I now have two new valves so if anyone has a need for a valve, let me know.

-C

inkblotz

Post#15 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:17 pm

You can never have too many spares. :D

Mark

Return to “Tech: Heating and Air Conditioning”