New Member just embarking on the G journey. After several months of lurking, it feels right to introduce myself as I get more serious about the search.
Broadly speaking, I'm a work from home knowledge worker with more time than money and just enough mechanical knowledge and parts swapping ability to get myself into trouble under a car... and usually to find my way out again. Now that I've worked my way through as much of the house renovations as my wife will permit, I'm looking for another project. Recently, I've realized that given the minimal driving needs of my family (no commute!), the time might be right for something fun in the garage. In a world that has gone bluetooth, I'm particularly drawn to the utilitarian and perceived indestructibility of the older Gs. I don't need fancy, I need functional, cool and indestructible.
What I'm looking for:
-Something that can be driven 5,000 miles / yr with a combination of local (<5 mile) trips around town and occasional 150 mile highway trips to "nearby" beaches and family
-Something reliable enough to take on family trips presuming reasonably maintained
- Something tending towards projects appropriate for the shade tree mechanic when it breaks & somewhat reasonable parts costs
- Likely automatic so my wife can happily drive
- Something I can drive for next 5+ years and eventually resell if needed
- Preference for A/C & disk brakes
What I don't need:
- Garage queen / collector vehicle - goal is this to be a driver (presumably a given in this price range)
Appreciate any thoughts on whether a G seems like a good fit for my needs and/or what specific flavors best suit.