Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Which models had AC?

Please introduce yourself here. A minimum of 3 posts here is required before you can post to the rest of the board.
RedTex

Which models had AC?

Post#1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:28 pm

I’m still learning the ins and out of all the different models. I’m wondering which ones came with AC?

My ideal is a 300GD LWB plaid interior and barn doors. It would be a daily driver, but I live in Texas. Summer heat is insane.

AlanMcR

Re: Which models had AC?

Post#2 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:34 pm

It was an option up until later in the 90's, so you'll need to verify presence (and proper function).
...Alan

Winston

Post#3 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:26 pm

I daily drove a 300gd without a/c for 5 years in Alabama. The 460 and early 463 Gs have a nice fresh air intake that does a good job bringing in a lot of air. Power windows help too if you can find a truck with them.

You should know that the a/c on 460 and early 463 trucks is not what anyone would consider “super-cooling”. The system is something you would find in 1970s-era vehicles. If a/c is really important, I would suggest finding someone with an equipped vehicle to let you make an extended test run in the month of August.
1990 250GD 461.401
2000 G500 463.241
2006 G500 463.249

OldSparky

Post#4 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:07 pm

Vintage Air would also be worth considering on W460s, essentially reproducing the look/performance of an OEM Behr under-console unit. Especially considering how few barn door 300GDs there are out there.

vadimivanovich

Post#5 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:50 pm

Yeah, barn doors... love them, but they're hard to find. AC even harder. Diesel's not hard, but you're certain to want a turbo. 3L 5-cyl & 88HP is not a lot.
"The way you think is the way you live"

HolsonY

Post#6 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:08 am

I echo Winston's post - if you need really strong A/C aftermarket might be the better way to go especially since factory AC is already hard to find.

I had many 80s and 90s MB with factory A/C and it was at best helpful in evaporating most sweat in those hot muggy summer days in New England. My 2001 CLK55 AMG was my first Benz that had proper cold AC

If it were me, I'd daily drive something else - a Toyota 4 runner to stay with the overlander theme - in summer. When the weather is barely warm (those rare 70-80F days in San Francisco), I really enjoy driving the G without AC. With the windows down it's very airy unlike modern cars especially the big sunroof open. Not sure if it's a shape of the car or the fact that the windows are big?
2018 G550

RedTex

Post#7 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 am

Oh I get what you guys are saying. All my cars over the last 15 years haven’t had AC. I’m 36 now, and I think I’m too old to drive through the desert without AC, or show up to meetings drenched in sweat. That said, I didn’t know aftermarket was a viable option! That’s super exciting to hear. Especially if there aren’t too many modifications to make it work.

Maybe a second little pickup with AC is the better option. But I also like the idea of being able to use a G all year round for all purposes.

vadimivanovich

Post#8 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:00 pm

The aftermarket AC is a VERY custom option, but has been well executed once or twice on this forum. It's much better to source a vehicle that already has it, of course. They're out there... just be patient.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Pavel

Post#9 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:50 am

RedTex, where in Texas? I am in Houston, and been dealing with the same dilemma on earlier Gs. The ACs seem scarce.

Return to “New User Introductions”