Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

New user

Please introduce yourself here. A minimum of 3 posts here is required before you can post to the rest of the board.
mutinda

New user

Post#1 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:52 am

hey all. I am Nick from Nairobi Kenya. I hope to learn about the G Wagon here. Thanks

mutinda

Re: New user

Post#2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:53 am

Which is the better engine, in your opinion, the GD300 or the V8?

mutinda

Post#3 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:54 am

where do you folks buy parts for the G Wagon

vadimivanovich

Post#4 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:35 am

Welcome! You have found the correct resource for G information.

The engine choice depends on your desired use. If you need to drive mostly on the highway, the V8 will drink a lot of fuel, but will be happy at high speeds. The 300GD with the 5-cylinder OM617 engine, 5-cylinder OM602, or 6-cylinder OM603 engines will have limited power and top-speed, but are ideal for off-road driving and rely on only the most basic electrical and mechanical systems possible. They are more field-serviceable, and slightly more fuel efficient. The one, rare model G300DT has the OM606 turbo diesel engine, and is very capable on both the freeway and off-road. It does rely on electronics though.

Parts are available mostly in Europe, but many bearings and seals can be found in local industrial supply houses. In the US, certain versions of the G-class are sold here, so the parts availability for those models is good.

Best of luck with your search!
"The way you think is the way you live"

frankjeez

Post#5 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 pm

mutinda wrote:Which is the better engine, in your opinion, the GD300 or the V8?

I'm having serious troubles with my GD300. A lot of white smoke is coming out of the engine when the bypass from the engine to the air filter is removed.
Then one day, when you least expect it, the great adventure finds you.

AlanMcR

Post#6 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 am

frankjeez wrote:
mutinda wrote:Which is the better engine, in your opinion, the GD300 or the V8?

I'm having serious troubles with my GD300. A lot of white smoke is coming out of the engine when the bypass from the engine to the air filter is removed.

Blowby. Could just be a stuck ring. How did it run before? Any participating event?
...Alan

Return to “New User Introductions”