Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

New to G wagens...help needed

Please introduce yourself here. A minimum of 3 posts here is required before you can post to the rest of the board.
AlanMcR

Re: New to G wagens...help needed

Post#71 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:11 pm

The airbag system is disarmed one second after the key is out. The advantage of disconnecting the battery is it will keep you from turning on the system later (see below) and setting the airbag error light.

The orange tab should be pulled out. Then set the airbag down somewhere safe, with the metal side down. Then center the wheel (need to turn the ignition key to on to release the column lock) and remove the center nut (normal threading). Don't use the steering column lock as the counterforce, either have someone hold the wheel or put a padded 1x4 through the spokes.
...Alan

Arvinc

Post#72 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:41 am

AlanMcR wrote:The airbag system is disarmed one second after the key is out. The advantage of disconnecting the battery is it will keep you from turning on the system later (see below) and setting the airbag error light.

The orange tab should be pulled out. Then set the airbag down somewhere safe, with the metal side down. Then center the wheel (need to turn the ignition key to on to release the column lock) and remove the center nut (normal threading). Don't use the steering column lock as the counterforce, either have someone hold the wheel or put a padded 1x4 through the spokes.

I have a high torque impact wrench, will give thay a go.

You mentioned pulling out the orange, is it jull pulling the tab in thr oppositr direction of the airbag, straight bavk or do i slide it off to a side?

AlanMcR

Post#73 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:33 am

Straight away from the airbag. It is just a friction fit. Two pins in there.
...Alan

Arvinc

Post#74 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:42 pm

AlanMcR wrote:Straight away from the airbag. It is just a friction fit. Two pins in there.

Worked like a charm. Thanks, heading back to Toronto this evening, in a week I should be back out here and will start sorting out the electrical mess that was done when the previous owner installed an aftermarket radio.

Arvinc

Post#75 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:41 pm

Having a tough time getting the steering colum plastic shroud/jacket off. Trying to get to the screw behind it
Attachments
IMG_20190619_163948.jpg

Arvinc

Post#76 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:46 pm

Figured it out, what if found behind is giving me cause for pause. It is just a mess of electrical wiring.

Electrical issues are always daunting for me.

Arvinc

Post#77 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:30 pm

So this is what I am dealing with behind the steering column. I am a bit overwhelmed, there is also a huge pile of wires from the aftermarket stereo.

So not sure where to start with figuring this out.

I did recognize the immobilizer unit that would have come with the engine from the sprinter van. My guess is that it needs to be deactivated and the key needs to be reattached to the RFID locater ring that plugs directly into the Mercedes immo box.

Any suggestions are most welcome.
Attachments
IMG_20190619_185845.jpg
IMG_20190619_185940.jpg

Arvinc

Post#78 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:35 pm

More pics.
Attachments
IMG_20190619_185814_compress17.jpg
IMG_20190619_185828_compress73.jpg
IMG_20190619_185805_compress71.jpg

AlanMcR

Post#79 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:29 pm

I feel your pain, what a mess!
I've lost track of your objective. Is it just cleanup?
...Alan

Arvinc

Post#80 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:18 am

AlanMcR wrote:I feel your pain, what a mess!
I've lost track of your objective. Is it just cleanup?

Yes, first goal is to remove all the electrical wiring from the aftermarket stereo. And start from scratch in installing a new stereo

The next goal, and most important one is to get it started. It turns on electrically, but the engine doesn't turn over, no cranking, nothing. It is getting diesel, so I am beginning to think it's the immobilizer.

I had a brief conversation with the previous owner last night, and he mentioned it was broken into it, and they tried to start it, but couldn't. So I am thinking that might be where and what I start with.

You initial thoughts on the sprinter immobilizer unit with the key and RFID system I think may be correct.

Return to “New User Introductions”