Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Hello from Canada!

Please introduce yourself here. A minimum of 3 posts here is required before you can post to the rest of the board.
JSPC

Hello from Canada!

Post#1 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:51 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Jean-Sebastien and I'm from Montreal Canada. In 2017 I bought a 2000 G290 turbo -- with original OM602 engine -- from Germany and imported it to Canada. I did some work on it and also had some done -- I'm decent in mechanics but I'm not advanced.

I'm attaching some pics of my truck.

Glad to join this community, I'm amazed at how much activity there is here!
Attachments
IMG_5608.JPG
IMG_2489.JPG

Mann

Re: Hello from Canada!

Post#2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:41 pm

Hello Jean-Sebastien, welcome to the club!
I am new here but I also brought my G from Germany recently.
Nice looking truck!

diesel_jim

Post#3 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:02 pm

Lovely truck... looks like a professional?

offroad-world

Post#4 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:03 am

hi jean - sebastian .

your G looks great , dirty but almost rust free it seems :lol:
the taillights look odd to me , are they the taillights from the swiss army ?
can you post better pics ?

the " Leuchtturm " in the photo shows me that you bought it in germany somewhere near to the north sea , very familiar and nice .

mfg. guido .

Johnny Christensen

Post#5 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:22 am

Welcome to the club. Lots of nice people here, with a keen interest in everything G.
Great looking 290 you got and a really capable vehicle to go touring with.

JSPC

Post#6 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:39 am

Professional means bare minimum options right? Crank windows and the like? If so then definitively yes :). I wanted one like this, I'm quite a minimalist person... all I want from my G is a good bed in the back and reliable mechanic to bring me wherever I want. Well maybe a bit more speed but this should be coming soon :)

As for better pictures... well, I have lots of picture but usually they're about documenting where I went with the truck... So the truck is always dirty. When I clean it I actually like it less so I don't take pics and I have no "showroom" pics.

It doesn't have much rust but there are two spots on the rear and one just above the air intake... I'll work on it this summer.
Attachments
IMG_5600.JPG
IMG_2356.JPG
IMG_6858.JPG

Theo85

Post#7 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:56 pm

JS, welcome to the forum. Your G is simply perfect! There are a few of us in the QC/ON area but we seem to be growing in numbers every few months which is great.
Hilda - 1996 G320 LWB
Ottawa, Canada

BELinNC

Post#8 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:24 pm

Welcome to the forum, great looking truck and scenery! Didn't realize they were still using the OM602 engines in 2000.

diesel_jim

Post#9 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:24 pm

Beautiful truck

JSPC

Post#10 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:31 pm

Thanks guys

I believe 2001 is the last year they used the OM602 in a G. The 2002 G270 is when the W461 caught up with progress :lol: . Actually, I debated for some time between the G290 and the G270... The G290 is simpler and I decided to go for simpler but I didn't realize back then that the engine and the transmission of the G270 had been sold in Canada inside the Sprinter. I don't believe any production car came to Canada with an OM602, at least no one seems to have ever seen one! At times this creates some complications...

Return to “New User Introductions”