Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

I have a 280GE in Ottawa ON and Need Help

Please introduce yourself here. A minimum of 3 posts here is required before you can post to the rest of the board.
Ianabull27

I have a 280GE in Ottawa ON and Need Help

Post#1 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:44 pm

I have had a 1987 280GE in storage for about 10 years and want to get it on the road quick.
Anyone with info with suggestions as to a mechanic who can spend a few hours on it to get it running?
Vehicle is in the burbs but i can tow it to anywhere in and around Ottawa if someone can give it a go. I have some parts ready to install.

Otiswesty

Re: I have a 280GE in Ottawa ON and Need Help

Post#2 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:26 pm

That's cool! Those are great vehicles with the top performing motor for it's time in terms of stock power. The engine management is CIS, so call around to some local independent MB shop to see if they have tech that likes to work on the older CIS systems , they were in lots of sedans as well.

Keep us posted on your progress please and putting up a pic of the Gwagen would be awesome.
461.213, 463.241

Ianabull27

Post#3 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:02 am

The last 10 years of the life of this vehicle has been hard. I imported it to Canada from Indonesia where i was living, but i had to relocate quickly again and it sat outside for 1.5 years. A mechanic attempted to install a heater in the car (did not come with one in Indonesia), and tore out the dash. Mechanic had to close up shop before i could get the parts and i moved the truck to covered storage. By that time, 2 hard winters later, some damage was done.

I am abroad now but want the truck fixed up asap so i can get it on the road when i get back next month. I do not want to buy a second car when i have this. I just had the gas tank reconditioned. I have just recently received master clutch and slave cylinders. The engine starts and runs well. Just need to get the new parts installed, dash put back together and have the truck test driven to see what else will be done.

I will do the body work myself. I will strip off the paint, get rid of any bondo, and do it up nice. Just looking to get it mechanically functioning for now.
Attachments
280GE Ottawa 2022 June RS.jpg
Current condition Ottawa June 2022
280GE Ottawa 2022 June FS.jpg
Current condition Ottawa June 2022
280GE Jarkata 2011 Side.jpeg
2012 Just before Importing from Indonesia
280GE Jarkata 2011 Front.jpeg
2012 Just before importing from Indonesia
280GE Jarkata 2011 CU .jpeg
2012 Just before importing from Indonesia

Ianabull27

Post#4 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:08 am

Truck is currently in a shop just outside of Ottawa but has been too busy to do what is needed. I am getting a bit frustrated. Was hoping he could slot me in just like any other client. I get it. Book time on new vehicles is more lucrative that straight time on what he considers a "project". He is a good guy but i need to get this done so i can determine what else could be needed so i can make some decisions.

Otiswesty

Post#5 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:14 am

I have heard they ordered the car from Graz without a cabin heater in Malaysia. The military Gs are set up that way as far as I have seen. My 280GE came from Dubai and had the heater deleted as well, but done later in Arabia. I installed a used OEM 460 HVAC set up last year. That part is a long weekend of work, but not the hardest technically to do your self.

The dash reassembly is a big part of that. If you have all the parts, putting it back together will be easier than that body work. Just a few wires for some simple tasks with relays. Not like a complicated modern car.

I've been driving it to work in the nice weather every day these last 3 weeks as it is a soft top version. Very reliable.

Here's mine starting to go back together.
Attachments
FinalMount.jpg
FinalMount.jpg (78.27 KiB) Viewed 75 times
461.213, 463.241

blueg

Post#6 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:47 am

Give Oleg a call. He's in Ottawa and is familiar with the older G. Can't vouch for him beyond a reference but I have spoke to him and know he is capable of the work you require. 613-728-6659. Best luck.

Titus

Post#7 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:01 pm

Give me a call at 613 263 3470 and we'll figure it out.

Titus

Post#8 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:15 pm

BTW I answered to your message on P3 forum about a month or so ago. Maybe you did not check. Anyway, contact me.

Return to “New User Introductions”