Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

New Member - Nashville

Please introduce yourself here. A minimum of 3 posts here is required before you can post to the rest of the board.
TechMOGogy

Re: New Member - Nashville

Post#11 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:31 am

Just the most recent comment from an owner of Hutchinson's.
viewtopic.php?p=96976#p96976
If you search you will find more.
They are also very heavy
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 94 350GDT - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

Chris

Post#12 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:09 am

What amazes me about these wheels is their ability to manipulate the minds of their owners to believe that they ‘don’t vibe too bad’ or that ‘they can change’ or ‘they said they love me’...

Is your G in an abusive to relationship with it’s wheels too? ;)

AlanMcR

Post#13 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:28 pm

The only advantage that I can figure out is the ability to run super low pressures. Field replace-ability of a tire really isn't really better than with a standard rim.
...Alan

mickygee

Post#14 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:37 pm

AlanMcR wrote:The only advantage that I can figure out is the ability to run super low pressures. Field replace-ability of a tire really isn't really better than with a standard rim.

And they Look Badass!!!
cheers, Michael

TechMOGogy

Post#15 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:47 pm

mickygee wrote:
AlanMcR wrote:The only advantage that I can figure out is the ability to run super low pressures. Field replace-ability of a tire really isn't really better than with a standard rim.

And they Look Badass!!!

Nothin' says Badass as a G going 60mph while vibrating your fillings out LOL
I got snow in the rims of my wife SUV this weekend - headed to highway and after 10 mins I thought I was going to puke, had to stop and fix it.
Now these are badass :)
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 94 350GDT - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

nihil

Post#16 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 pm

I wonder if something like this would help get the Hutchinsons balanced:
http://www.ride-on.com/
1982 300GD LWB RHD

TechMOGogy

Post#17 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:09 am

In my Mog I used DynaBeads
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

AlanMcR

Post#18 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:45 pm

TechMOGogy wrote:In my Mog I used DynaBeads
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

There is an aspect of economics that I don't understand. If these work as well as carefully applied weights, why doesn't every tire shop use the beads instead?
...Alan

mogwild

Post#19 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 am

Weights are cheap, easy to install, and the machine tells you how much to put on. Dynabeads you have to figure out how many to put in, break the bead, and put them in. I've successfully used Dynabeads in many Unimog tires and they definitely make a difference, but it takes a lot, considering they are ~$5/oz, that adds up compared to lead weights. Lead weights are old, tried tested and true. With beads, you might have to go back to the tire shop a few times until you get the right amount figured out, that's not economical for a tire shop.

The nice thing is they don't get ripped off when offroad, they dynamically balance when you get mud/snow/ice in the rim (to a point, they are no magic bullet but they work up to a certain weight). They don't blow out the valve stem when lowering tire pressure (if they are the right size) and don't attract moisture and clump and rust rims like powder.

They do take some speed to spread out and balance, and when you hit a good bump they scatter, but collect themselves shortly after.

And beads don't coming flying through the back of the cab in event of a blowout, like golf balls :) (don't use golf balls...ever)
-trev

utsm39

Post#20 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:26 pm

I haven’t had any issues with vibration or shaking, and have run them up to about 80 mph on the interstate. My neighbor is the general manager of a local tire center and had his team do the lift, wheels and tires. No problems to report!

Return to “New User Introductions”