Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

New Member Intro - Philly, PA

Please introduce yourself here. A minimum of 3 posts here is required before you can post to the rest of the board.
hand

New Member Intro - Philly, PA

Post#1 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:12 am

Hi,

New Member just embarking on the G journey. After several months of lurking, it feels right to introduce myself as I get more serious about the search.

Broadly speaking, I'm a work from home knowledge worker with more time than money and just enough mechanical knowledge and parts swapping ability to get myself into trouble under a car... and usually to find my way out again. Now that I've worked my way through as much of the house renovations as my wife will permit, I'm looking for another project. Recently, I've realized that given the minimal driving needs of my family (no commute!), the time might be right for something fun in the garage. In a world that has gone bluetooth, I'm particularly drawn to the utilitarian and perceived indestructibility of the older Gs. I don't need fancy, I need functional, cool and indestructible.

What I'm looking for:

-Something that can be driven 5,000 miles / yr with a combination of local (<5 mile) trips around town and occasional 150 mile highway trips to "nearby" beaches and family
-Something reliable enough to take on family trips presuming reasonably maintained
- Something tending towards projects appropriate for the shade tree mechanic when it breaks & somewhat reasonable parts costs
- Likely automatic so my wife can happily drive
- <$30,000
- Something I can drive for next 5+ years and eventually resell if needed
- Preference for A/C & disk brakes

What I don't need:
- Garage queen / collector vehicle - goal is this to be a driver (presumably a given in this price range)

Appreciate any thoughts on whether a G seems like a good fit for my needs and/or what specific flavors best suit.
2004 G500

vadimivanovich

Re: New Member Intro - Philly, PA

Post#2 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:24 am

Sounds like you're looking for a 230GE or 280GE. These are the only automatics that I'm aware of that are reasonably within reach. The gasoline motors from this era are a bit fussy when not completely "right", but with enough research an patience you can fix most problems.

Any W460 purchase should be made with the assumption that you will need new brakes and a front axle rebuild. I'm not trying to be doom & gloom about it, but this is a fact of W460 life. They are very tough once gone through.

Best of luck with the search!
"The way you think is the way you live"

hand

Post#3 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks for the welcome and the thoughtful feedback. Two follow-up questions:

1) I've been eyeing a 300GD automatic appreciate your thoughts as to whether this might also be a good option for my needs

2) Brakes and a front axle don't sound too scary, does $3k or less if DIY sound about right?
2004 G500

vadimivanovich

Post#4 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:42 am

Sounds right. A 300GD auto will be pretty gutless. If you're fine with that then it's a good, reliable option. And a slow option.
"The way you think is the way you live"

hand

Post#5 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:33 am

Thanks so much for the replies and information!
2004 G500

Return to “New User Introductions”