Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Hi From Canada

Please introduce yourself here. A minimum of 3 posts here is required before you can post to the rest of the board.
mogwild

Re: Hi From Canada

Post#11 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:54 am

I wouldn't use Bring a Trailer to determine values as same as I wouldn't use something like Barrett Jackson. Sales prices are pretty high on BaT compared to private market from what I've seen.
-trev

BC725

Post#12 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:18 am

Thanks for all of the info everyone. It is much appreciated. This particular example shows over $10K in mechanical and electrical repairs and maintenance during the importation process. It looks to be a very sound mechanical example that may or may not need some aesthetic love. While it looks fantastic currently the respray may be a concern at some point in the future.

BC725

Post#13 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:54 am

Hey Everyone, So I ended up picking up one of the units I was asking about and am now in deep (possibly over my head). I have 2 questions.

Does anyone know a good diesel G guru in the Calgary, Alberta area?

Am I able to remove and replace the oil pan while it is in the vehicle? I have a very small oil seep and I need to change the oil anyways so figured now is a great time to reseal this. I was just wondering is this will be surfacing new issues with RMS?

Thanks

AlanMcR

Post#14 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:49 am

Is this a OM617 with a rear seep? If so, it is my understanding that this is normal and not really curable.
...Alan

BC725

Post#15 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:37 am

It is a 617 yes but the rear seep is not the issue. There is other leaking around the oil pan and was hoping I could drop the pan and reseal, hoping to not cause an issue with the RMS

blueg

Post#16 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:14 pm

First you will need to positively determine where the oil is coming from.
If 617 has turbo and deep front oil sump then it is transplant from 80's sedan and the problems can be myriad.
If it's 617.931 original to truck then problems should be routine.
There is no gasket so reseal involves application of RTV like sealant which can be tricky if trying to maneuver oil pan into reinstall position while engine is in truck even when lifted.
There are several oil pan (upper) bolts that do not thread into block but pass through to secure parallel lines along beside lip. These bolts sometimes lose their nuts and cause seep areas and loose lines.
Some of these trucks have had every Tom, Harry and Dick changing things and modifying without ever entering a Merc parts counter so be prepared to correct some creative Mcguyvering.

BC725

Post#17 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Thanks for the info blueg. It is indeed the 617.931 (assuming its numbers matching but regardless its stock).

So is the procedure simply lowering the pan enough to clean and apply new sealant then button it back up? With the proper hardware of course.

Is there a good online source to look at parts diagrams(and numbers) so I can have them handy when I call my local Merc counter?

blueg

Post#18 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:35 pm

I have 617A turbo in my wife's 1985 280GE.
I have searched for info on oil pan replacement techniques but to no avail.
I even bought a service manual for the sedan turbo engines and there is no reference in regard to oil pans other than gasket change for sump section.
The .931 stock 617 in your G has a considerably lower profile oilpan (1pc) and I think if you raised your truck and allow the suspension to hang completely you should be able to get in there to clean and reseal.
The oilpan through bolts I mentioned earlier may only apply to the 617 turbo engines.
My 81 donor had stock .931 diesel as yours does but it had clips running down the side of trans pan for cooler lines and the lines passed through frame mounted clips probably to decrease the roll of lines if anchored to the engine.
There is a gentleman in Quebec named Warren Thibault. He is on pointed three forum. He may have better advice than I.
His forte is transplant of 617 turbo diesels into the various G wagen platforms.

vadimivanovich

Post#19 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:06 pm

Sounds like you're talking about a rear main seal replacement. If so, it's painful. I've heard of people managing to remove the oil sump, lower the oil pan skirt and remove all of the main-bearing caps so the rear end of the crankshaft could be lowered enough to replace the rope seal. I've also heard that even when all of this work is finished, the seal still leaks. Apparently a design flaw, but some 617s don't leak. Not sure what to say other than "good luck!"
"The way you think is the way you live"

BC725

Post#20 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:49 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am actually not planning to repair the rear main seal, just the oil pan is leaking but I understand a portion of the RMS runs through the oil pan no? I thought it was a split seal where one half runs through the block and one half runs through the pan ? I guess what I am really asking is will I make a mess of my RMS by pulling off the oil pan for an oil pan leak?

Return to “New User Introductions”