Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

An American stranded in France

Please introduce yourself here. A minimum of 3 posts here is required before you can post to the rest of the board.
jackxter

Re: An American stranded in France

Post#11 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:09 am

Not sure about the glowplugs, but I know that I cycle mine twice to start. If I do it once, she seems to struggle.
-Jack

Baddy

Post#12 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:15 am

Mine starts on a turn of the key. You should check the glow plugs, some might be bad...

TechMOGogy

Post#13 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:24 am

Yes or coated so they are not transferring the heat as well
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

mogwild

Post#14 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:06 am

A double cycle of the glows is normal, it's in the military manual even.
-trev

mogwild

Post#15 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:13 am

vadimivanovich wrote:No, the 6mm transducer would fit the 617 better, but it wouldn't require much to figure out a shim to reduce the ID of the transducer. They may offer other sizes as well.

Just went out and measured the Wolf's lines. They are ~4.5mm
-trev

Baddy

Post#16 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Maybe...but after I installed a set of these it takes only half a turn of the key and it starts
http://www.dieselglowplug.com/18v24v-di ... anguage=en

mogwild wrote:A double cycle of the glows is normal, it's in the military manual even.

AlanMcR

Post#17 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Baddy wrote:Maybe...but after I installed a set of these it takes only half a turn of the key and it starts
http://www.dieselglowplug.com/18v24v-di ... anguage=en

mogwild wrote:A double cycle of the glows is normal, it's in the military manual even.

That is only for very cold weather, no?
...Alan

mogwild

Post#18 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Not very cold weather. Don't get me wrong, I can start it without glow plugs at all if needed but it's happier if it's gets a duel cycle. If it's warm (today it's +26C for instance) no issues. Below zero, I double cycle because it takes an extra 30seconds and it starts so much easier. It will alway start with one cycle but why not give 'er the double? With the Webasto however the glowplug light barely even illuminates if it's pre-heated. Just crank and go.

Friend of mine put those 18/24 glowplugs in his Unimog (421, larger mogs are glowplugless) and it made all the difference in cold weather.
-trev

pierre repairs

Post#19 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:18 am

Hi and bienvenue :)

The German army Continental LM90 is what I consider a „suicide“ tire - it’s only good on dry / dusty roads - but no go on wet or mud :(
Actually this tire is the main reason for many damages / accidents in the German Army front end specially- to compensate this poor tire use the light 4x4 but then U will wear transfer quicker - best is to get cooper or BF Goodrich in 235/85/16 even on original steel wheels - you will rev lower - top speed - don’t push it as the Wolf was built to drive in convoy I.e. 80 to 90 km/h.
Ref the preheating, one of the plug or 2 is most probably not working - get the Mercedes ones and not the cheap eBay as U will need to pre heat twice - based on own experience - for services in the car and since U are in France advise U go to the truck / utility van garages as the regular sedan dealer will have serious issues to deal with your requests but again see for yourself
Make sure the visco coupling fan is running and the thermostat is operating properly- give a good clean at the cooling system. Not sure what was done but ensure all oil fluids are changed as the army uses 10w40 oil for almost everything in this car - it’s ok at 70 to 90 km/h but advisable under private use
Enjoy the Wolf is the best every built G!!
Since u are photographer get us pics ;)
G300TD - W463.331 & G250 - W461.401 Wolf LL

Daveyoder

Post#20 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Here's the beast, with my wife along for the ride. In the forest near Cahors, France.
Attachments
IMG_2129.jpg

Return to “New User Introductions”