Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

New to G wagens...help needed

Please introduce yourself here. A minimum of 3 posts here is required before you can post to the rest of the board.
Arvinc

Re: New to G wagens...help needed

Post#51 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:14 pm

These are the light that are on, when I turn on the ignition.
IMG_20190320_144740.jpg
IMG_20190320_144747.jpg

AlanMcR

Post#52 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:19 pm

This is the set of lights I was talking about. In the center console, below the AC vent.
These switches control the lockers and all lights should be out.
...Alan

Arvinc

Post#53 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:02 pm

AlanMcR wrote:This is the set of lights I was talking about. In the center console, below the AC vent.
These switches control the lockers and all lights should be out.

Oh yeah, no lockers are on, heading out to grab a stethoscope to fully pinpont where the whirring is coming from.

Arvinc

Post#54 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Ok so turns out the whirring was due to the defrosting/heat being left on, on the climate control.

I did find a mess of electrical wiring around the ignition cylinder. Fairly certain there was some remote starter/alarm installed and it was improperly removed.

I did find what I believe to be the valet key, however it doesn't even get to position 1 on the ignition cylinder.

I think I will see if can have someone look at the wiring.

I am having a hard time finding the fuse boxes, there is the one under the glovebox, and the fuse box for the engine systems I believe to be under the passenger seat, but beyond that, can't really find anything else.
Attachments
IMG_20190320_220447.jpg
IMG_20190320_220438.jpg

AlanMcR

Post#55 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 am

This ECU apparently still requires the presence of the RFID key. That is what bundle of wire with the key is for. The wire goes to either the ECU directly or a CANbus connected key reader. This engine won't start until the ECU gets the correct message from the key or the key reader. The encoded key value has to agree with the value encoded in the ECU (and maybe the TCU too). Do not remove any of this until it starts and runs. Only then can you (very carefully) pare back the wire rat's nest.
...Alan

G Nome

Post#56 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:59 am

Wow! Looks like an elaborate hide a key to me. Don't loose that.

Good information Alan.

Kent
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

Arvinc

Post#57 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:18 pm

AlanMcR wrote:This ECU apparently still requires the presence of the RFID key. That is what bundle of wire with the key is for. The wire goes to either the ECU directly or a CANbus connected key reader. This engine won't start until the ECU gets the correct message from the key or the key reader. The encoded key value has to agree with the value encoded in the ECU (and maybe the TCU too). Do not remove any of this until it starts and runs. Only then can you (very carefully) pare back the wire rat's nest.

lololol oh dear god.... omg ... guess what i did? So you are saying i shouldn't have removed the valet key taped that ignition style trim cover?

Lets say i already did, despite a little voice at the back of my head saying you shouldn't do this unless you know what all of this is for?

Arvinc

Post#58 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:22 pm

AlanMcR wrote:This ECU apparently still requires the presence of the RFID key. That is what bundle of wire with the key is for. The wire goes to either the ECU directly or a CANbus connected key reader. This engine won't start until the ECU gets the correct message from the key or the key reader. The encoded key value has to agree with the value encoded in the ECU (and maybe the TCU too). Do not remove any of this until it starts and runs. Only then can you (very carefully) pare back the wire rat's nest.

So you are thinking the key taped there is from the vehicle that the om647 engine came from? I am beginning to think only Mercedes can sort out the coding here, because the remote that came with the g wagen is dead, i tried changing the battery...and nothing.

Or maybe take it to somewhere that does alarm installations?

AlanMcR

Post#59 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:28 pm

Follow the wire and get the part number of what it attaches too. All of this is custom and hacked together. I would assume that MB isn't going to help you.
As for the remote. If you hold the button down a light should dimly glow red near the key shaft. Also, when viewed by a cell phone camera, you should be able to see a flicker of red from the IR pulses. Shoot a picture of the key, just so I can be sure of what you have.
...Alan

Arvinc

Post#60 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:30 pm

AlanMcR wrote:Follow the wire and get the part number of what it attaches too. All of this is custom and hacked together. I would assume that MB isn't going to help you.
As for the remote. If you hold the button down a light should dimly glow red near the key shaft. Also, when viewed by a cell phone camera, you should be able to see a flicker of red from the IR pulses. Shoot a picture of the key, just so I can be sure of what you have.

I will follow the wire tomorrow, I am trying to figure out how to disassemble the center console.

Here is a pic of the old key and remote, on the right; and the new key and remote on the left. At the top of the pic is the key I found taped up in the dash by the ignition cylinder.

I don't know if you rather share messages back and forth. But I guess, by having all this information here, it can serve to help someone else in the future.
Attachments
IMG_20190321_222713.jpg

Return to “New User Introductions”