Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

The Jack Wagon

Please introduce yourself here. A minimum of 3 posts here is required before you can post to the rest of the board.
JACWAGN

Re: The Jack Wagon

Post#11 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:40 am

blueg wrote:I think the exhaust hangs so low because the G Wagen has been slowly morphing from it's original intended purpose.
They started out as one of the heartiest 4X4's ever built with all consideration toward endurance, clearance and travelling the rougher terrains.
Over time and as the G became more civilianized, larger engines, better gearing for proper road speeds and the inevitable desire for luxury has come to the front.
The sacrifices are obvious. Bigger engines and larger automatic transmissions take the space that once allowed the exhaust to be tucked up in the frame to maintain highest ground clearance.
Field maintenance and repair are no longer viable or profitable.
Bigger engines and twin exhaust manifolds on the V engines requires twice the linear space for exhaust and larger diameter to handle output.
Re engineering a 140K 463 to rock crawl is rich man's folly.

And a gas tank spreading across the rear of the truck, preventing the exhaust from being modded out the back! Beyond the exhaust pipes, everything else is pretty well tucked away. There's a few possible modifications that could be done to better tuck that exhaust up against the heat shield. One I have in mind is going to a straight pipe behind the catalytic converter and having it closer to the heat shield. Rock sliders will also mask this issue and protect stock exhaust.

As far as the "folly" goes, calling these things 140k is like calling your phone battery fully charged. The second it's off the lot (unplugged) it starts trickling down. You're also quoting a new G63, a G550 base is around 120k. These will become more in a reasonable price range with time and people will be using these just like the older versions. These things are very well equipped to accommodate for comfort during long cross country road trips and to hit trails once you get there. Maybe not to rock climb like a Jeep on 40s with a 6" lift, aftermarket axles, a chopped frame, and wrapped in custom steel work but it's all relative. Compared to stock/similarly upgraded Jeeps and Toyotas, these things are very capable and a lot of fun to use!
Jack Wagon Overlanding
Email: JackWagonOverlanding@gmail.com
Instagram: @JackWagonOverlanding
Facebook: Jack Wagon Overlanding

diesel_jim

Post#12 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Nice truck.

2000G500

Post#13 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:14 am

Nice ride! I just got a 2000 G500 and have started a similar project myself. Look forward to seeing more
2000 G500

JACWAGN

Post#14 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 pm

2000G500 wrote:Nice ride! I just got a 2000 G500 and have started a similar project myself. Look forward to seeing more

Thank you! To you as well! What all do you have in mind for upgrades?
Jack Wagon Overlanding

TechMOGogy

Post#15 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:16 pm

How is that GOBI rack
Does it make noise at speed?
Thx
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

JACWAGN

Post#16 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:24 pm

TechMOGogy wrote:How is that GOBI rack
Does it make noise at speed?
Thx

It is absolutely silent. It comes with a wind deflector that eliminates all noise to the cabin. It also features an expanded metal layer over the support beams of the rack that allows you to walk around on it and a ladder to get up there with. Free shipping as well! I think it's the best rack out there and definitely in its price range. Downsides to the company are lead time and response rate.

I am a distributor for them, so if you're thinking about getting one, you can do so through my website (jacwagn.com)! I can help you arrange the order and potentially aid in any communications you may want with them. The main office can be difficult for clients to get ahold of at times and racks are made to order so don't expect it tomorrow but once you get it, you'll be glad you waited!
Jack Wagon Overlanding

2000G500

Post#17 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:27 pm

JACWAGN wrote:
2000G500 wrote:Nice ride! I just got a 2000 G500 and have started a similar project myself. Look forward to seeing more

Thank you! To you as well! What all do you have in mind for upgrades?

So far just changing the suspension, new wheels/tires, roof rack etc... It's already been an expensive start so we'll see how fast it actually goes :lol:
2000 G500

JACWAGN

Post#18 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:49 am

2000G500 wrote:So far just changing the suspension, new wheels/tires, roof rack etc... It's already been an expensive start so we'll see how fast it actually goes :lol:

I understand that! It's definitely a process with these things. Not something you can upgrade as fast as a Jeep or Yota but it sure makes you appreciate each thing you do to it! Enjoy the process and keep me updated on your upgrades!
Jack Wagon Overlanding

Otiswesty

Post#19 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:18 pm

I was looking at a lifted G550 a few weeks ago :lol:
Attachments
Lifted.jpg
461.213, 463.241

Otiswesty

Post#20 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:21 pm

It sure looks like the exhaust could be tucked further up under the body. It appears to hang much lower than the earlier G500 and G550 versions. Perhaps it could be rehung with reengineered mounting hardware.
In any case, the Gwagenaccessories rocker guards will help to protect the exhaust quite a bit.
Attachments
exhaust.jpg
G550.jpg
461.213, 463.241

Return to “New User Introductions”