Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Please introduce yourself here. A minimum of 3 posts here is required before you can post to the rest of the board.
jd101b

Post#1 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:15 pm

Hello All,

I have a 2010 G550. I adore it, but with just 60k miles, and a fanatical owner who babies the vehicle, there are already several rust spots on the car. Trying to figure out how to deal with them.

Cheers!

~J
2010 G550 // 2015 SL550 // 2015 ML 350 // 1995 E320 Cabriolet

HolsonY

Re: New Member

Post#2 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:07 am

Welcome and sorry to hear about the rust spots. I can't stand rust and I get obsessive fixing it. This was the reason I sold my otherwise immaculate w124 E420 that I had for 4 years! Longest I ever owned a car.

Is the G550 exposed to rust/salt at all? I think the classic 460/461/463s will all suffer from this as long as it lives in an area where salt is used in winter.
18 G550, 19 Nissan Leaf S | IG: @gunthergwagen

jd101b

Post#3 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:05 am

I live in the Northeast US, but I almost never drive it in snow and when it is even a bit dirty, I obsessively wash it, including spraying the undercarriage with water/baking soda to neutralize any road salt.

Mercedes has told me they cannot be of any further assistance (they fixed a few rust spots late last year). I'm not sure if I should sell (I really, really don't want to) or keep it. If I do keep it, I need to figure out what I can do to hopefully stop this problem for good.
2010 G550 // 2015 SL550 // 2015 ML 350 // 1995 E320 Cabriolet

HolsonY

Post#4 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:26 am

jd101b wrote:I live in the Northeast US, but I almost never drive it in snow and when it is even a bit dirty, I obsessively wash it, including spraying the undercarriage with water/baking soda to neutralize any road salt.

Mercedes has told me they cannot be of any further assistance (they fixed a few rust spots late last year). I'm not sure if I should sell (I really, really don't want to) or keep it. If I do keep it, I need to figure out what I can do to hopefully stop this problem for good.

I lived in Boston and my 95 E420 NEVER saw wet road salt, had a winter car for snow. Despite that, it kept rusting and I attribute it to the humid air and inevitable dry salt dust from driving around when the roads were finally dry after snow storms.

Really sorry to hear and it is frustrating. I am not sure there's a way to rust proof it aside from potentially not driving it at all as soon the snow falls until May timeframe.

Maybe others with more experience can chime in.

If I move back to Boston, I think I would be storing the G in winter until summer...
18 G550, 19 Nissan Leaf S | IG: @gunthergwagen

jaap.overgaag

Post#5 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:50 am

I live 8 miles north of Boston and do not take out the convertible until it has rained a couple of good storms after the last road salt was used. Road salt and ocean water spray is the dead for a car. I took my convertible to Martha Vineyard one year and when I got home I could ‘see’ the rust grow.

Daewoo

Post#6 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:57 pm

Its really sad to hear. Everything has end of life I understand. However, it’s reasonable to expect a G to be corrosion free for its first 10 years no matter where it’s located other than floating in the ocean.

If true, this tells me Mercedes is starting to put out crap for a product especially a brand new G starts at $120k plus

Return to “New User Introductions”