Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

engine transport

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Greenliner

engine transport

Post#1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:49 am

Hello,
Does any know the bottom footprint of a OM606a engine that I am going to transport in the back of a pick-up truck bed. (3 1/2 hr trip) I want to build a wood frame to accommodate the sump. Where is the best places to support the weight. Should I strap the engine be down onto a wooden pallet. The wrecking yard says that they sometimes use a tire. Any suggestions would be helpful,

Thank you,

vadimivanovich

Re: engine transport

Post#2 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:01 am

Throw an old floor mat, tire, carpet, anything down, and the engine will be perfect sitting on the oil pan. You will need some additional block to put under the engine mount arms so it doesn't roll over. Ratchet strap it from multiple directions and it'll be fine. I've done this too many times to count.
"The way you think is the way you live"

dcurbet

Post#3 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:04 am

(Me and Vadim must have been writing at the same time) :)
Same story- I’ve picked up engines from junkyards before and yes one or two tires is fine as long as you have some straps it’s usually OK to pin it down just bring wood blocks or pieces of precut (1 foot) two by fours with you and that way you can support it where it needs supported and then strap it. Bring a tarp to lay down because it always leaks out some fluids.

Greenliner

Post#4 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:49 am

Hey guys,
Thanks a bunch,

autonovice

Post#5 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:19 pm

See here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8186&p=67764&hilit=pallet#p67764

Go to CVS and grab a plastic pallet. They tend to have empty ones laying around.
I hope you still have the engine arms. Get threaded rods and have the engine lay on the oil pan and secured by the rods to the arms. I put wood blocks behind and in front by the crank pulley/ alternator to relief any shock during transportation.

The wood pallet is crap!

This is the best plastic pallet to use. Dont use the perforated ones.
https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/H-6 ... lsrc=aw.ds

dcurbet

Post#6 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:31 pm

That sounds like a great packing instruction but isn’t it a bit overkill for 3 hours in the back of his own pickup? If this was to be shipped LTL sure I can see the prep needed.

autonovice

Post#7 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:36 pm

dcurbet wrote:That sounds like a great packing instruction but isn’t it a bit overkill for 3 hours in the back of his own pickup? If this was to be shipped LTL sure I can see the prep needed.

Great platform to install your new IP w/ timing alignment and bench test your diesel engine! He will need to do this. In my case, I put in a mechanized VE pump for my 290TD engine, a new for this forum. Mercano helped me w/ the installation and timing. Easy peasy with all the access room and the thing started up right away.

dcurbet

Post#8 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:38 pm

oh I see where you re going with that

Must plan ahead :lol:

Otiswesty

Post#9 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:22 pm

Did you get the trans too?
Drop me a line when you are in town, happy to help or just hang out for an hour.
461.213, 463.241

Gelande

Post#10 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:52 am

bring a few 4x4 and 2x4 scraps and old tire and straps you will be fine

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”