Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

It's official - My new 300GD

Share stories/photos/community information.
tiktaalik

Re: It's official - My new 300GD

Post#201 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:06 am

Thanks Chris!

I will locate the boost line, check and report back. One reason I suspect it might not be, is that I fiddled with the ignition yesterday, trying to push the lines onto the ignition and the sound changed after that.

If its not the boost line then I will need to remove the ignition from the steering column in order to replace that little part. Is it complicated to remove the ignition? I only see one bolt (in photo) but its attached to the steering lock also, I assume?

Previously I've had issues with small amount of oil in the vacuum line and when I first got the truck, oil was dripping from the ignition. I'm wondering if oil in the vacuum line is causing the hoses to slip off, perhaps?

I actually think I'll keep the boost line. My Madman gauge can read boost and its already there. Like we said, it's not really necessary but since all the parts are there I might as well add one more functionality to the EMS.

Chris wrote:There should be a capped vacuum line under the dash that I used for boost gauge when I was tuning the engine.
Perhaps that cap/plug fell off in your recient fiddling.

There is a small 1/8” nipple on the injection pump’s ALDA vac port (small metal round can looking item on top of IP), that nipple should have the Valium line I’m talking about plugged on. You can just pull the line out of the firewall if you think you won’t need it and plug up that small nipple.

Edit: red arrow is pointing to the nipple you can easily unplug and cap off if that line is leaking boost pressure somewhere under the dash.

tiktaalik

Post#202 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:08 am

I haven't gotten to installing the Snorkel yet. I've just attached the mount for it.

I also changed the air filter yesterday. First time since I picked the truck up from you. It was pretty clogged and I can tell a difference when driving. I'm assuming with the increased amount of air flow I'm going to have to change the air filter more often than before.

Chris wrote:I’m curious, is that small diameter (less than 3.5” ID) Canadian snorkel you installed causing an air restriction to the motor as I suspected it may (more black exhaust than before/runs hotter)?

tiktaalik

Post#203 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:22 am

I'm happy to report that the problem most likely has been resolved. The cap was missing on the boost line!

tiktaalik

Post#204 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:05 pm

Has anyone put spring isolators (Poly or rubber) on their springs? I put a set of these on my Defender and have been very happy with them:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BEARMACH-Rear-Spring-Isolator-Part-ANR2938R/771152071

I'm looking at putting a set of Sachs Red/White (Heavy Duty) Springs on my 300GD and may add a set of spring isolators as well.

Also, what shocks would you recommend?

inkblotz

Post#205 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:03 pm

tiktaalik wrote:New mystery issue to solve this week.

I have what I believe to be a vacuum leak in the dash, close to the ignition. There is a hissing sound, kinda like when you slowly let air out of a balloon (pfffffft) coming from the dash and it increased at higher revs, when I accelerate.

I'm pretty sure its a vacuum system leak because what other air hoses would be located in the dash? To my understanding there are two vacuum hoses that attach to this little part on the ignition. Those two hoses lead to the engine bay. One going to the IP. Can someone explain to me exactly what their function is? I'm assuming it's either this little device (I have a new spare) or the hoses that attaches to it, that are leaking and need to be replaced.

The turbo still seems to be working fine so I am wondering how this vacuum leak (if thats what it is) affects performance, if at all? What say ye, wise ones?

This silver device in your hand is what is used to shut the motor off. When you turn the key a cam presses down on that plunger at the end of the silver part which sends vacuum to the end of the injection pump. when engaged this vacuum shuts off the fuel to the motor. So it stops.

If however you are not having problems shutting you motor off (it should shut off immediately) then it may not be those vacuum lines that you hear whistling.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 11.08.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 11.06.51 PM.png

inkblotz

Post#206 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:13 pm

Sorry, did not read through all the previous posts.

tiktaalik

Post#207 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:43 pm

I think you meant to say that you didn’t read the most recent post. Thanks for the info though.

inkblotz wrote:Sorry, did not read through all the previous posts.

NorwayW461 240gd

Post#208 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:59 pm

Re shocks i went with oem oil filled and they are smooth, i read online this type of shock is subject to fatigue but vlad @ 4by4 club assures me this is not a problem, your opinion may deviate from this unfounded assertion however.
No time to kill
-thad in idaho. '04 G500+'81 lwb 240gd

Chris

Post#209 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:25 am

Koni heavy track are the best G shocks for the $ IMHO.
IG: #traildustrestoration

tiktaalik

Post#210 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:24 am

Do you have a link or part numbers for those?

Chris wrote:Koni heavy track are the best G shocks for the $ IMHO.

Return to “G People”