Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Broken threads on injector clamping bolt 642

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
dcurbet

Broken threads on injector clamping bolt 642

Post#1 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:12 am

Has anyone ever dealt with broken threads for these m6 bolts holding down the injectors..? I have a stripped thread (on the head) - thread just came out with the bolt... half of it I think. Enough was left in there to allow the bolt to screw in appear like it’s holding but a day later it was ‘ejected’ . :cry:
I will attempt repair with a helicoil or timesert but I m not getting my hopes up. May just be the end of this van.
Wanted to check if anyone has any advice or experience to share? Considering going up in size to m8... hopefully there is enough meat. Maybe stay with m6. Not sure yet.

AlanMcR

Re: Broken threads on injector clamping bolt 642

Post#2 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:36 am

A Helicoils or Timeserts should set things straight. A PO had stripped several of the threaded holes for exhaust studs on my G. The head casting is quite soft. Helicoils have held them for 15years.
...Alan

dcurbet

Post#3 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:08 pm

Thx Alan. Will try it and let you know how it works out.

blueg

Post#4 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:51 am

Center punch what's left of the bolt and send in a 1/8" left hand drill bit.
Lots of penetrant prior to attempt.
Often the heat from drilling will send it out.

dcurbet

Post#5 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:17 am

Thx guys - I installed a helicoil - there was no broken bolt in there just stripped threads. It s a deep bore and I was not able to get the helicoil as low as I wanted to but it sat in there well. Bolt is holding and van has driven 500 miles now and fingers crossed all should stay fastened.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”