Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

92 G Trans lost all gears!

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Locked up

92 G Trans lost all gears!

Post#1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:59 pm

My transmission has been working great, today I shifted it into neutral to coast to a stop light, when I stopped and put into gear, nothing! nada.

I was able to coast down hill into my driveway and that where it sits.

If I rev the engine it kind of barley moves, but it definitely is not in gear.

What say you guys?

Eric

mazwest

Re: 92 G Trans lost all gears!

Post#2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Automatic ?
Manual ?

Locked up

Post#3 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Auto

offroad-world

Post#4 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Locked up wrote:Auto

is it the autobox or is it the transfer case what makes the problem ?

mfg. guido .

Locked up

Post#5 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:05 pm

I'm reading that the B2 servo can fail, but that it usually leaves reverse working. I have nothing.

Yes I tried shifting the transfer case, it's the trans.

anyone done a b2 servo on a G?

offroad-world

Post#6 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:14 pm

Locked up wrote:I'm reading that the B2 servo can fail, but that it usually leaves reverse working. I have nothing.

Yes I tried shifting the transfer case, it's the trans.

anyone done a b2 servo on a G?

300GE has the vacuum lines near to the battery tray . when one hose is damaged or loose you can have shifting problems .
you worked in the engine compartment and maybe this happened . check the vacuum lines .

mfg. guido .

Chris

Post#7 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:01 am

Mercedes autos REALLY don't like coasting in Neutral, the rear pump always spins creating fluid pressure that has nowhere to go and bad things can happen when the guts get over pressurized.

The user manual in every Automatic MBZ passenger car since the 70s has a page warning against towing with the drive wheels on the ground, it politely asks you to remove the driveshaft when towing in that manner.

In the future if you gotta coast an auto G, put the t case in N so the Trans output can't spin.

Ive done the B2 piston on Steven's 350GDT w/ 606a (easy job/cheap part) in an attempt to fix a flare between 2nd and 3rd, unsuccessfully. He kept driving it with the flare for nearly a year until it stopped moving all together. In the end the trans required a full rebuild (the flare was caused by front pump wearing away its brass sleeve in back= toasted clutch discs and ingesting metal shavings).

AlanMcR

Post#8 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:17 am

Chris wrote:Mercedes autos REALLY don't like coasting in Neutral, the rear pump always spins creating fluid pressure that has nowhere to go and bad things can happen when the guts get over pressurized....

Is that still true with the 722.6 and on? No rear pump in those. I rarely coast, but I haven't noticed any odd effects and the transmission seems to re-engage nicely, even at speed.

Chris

Post#9 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:38 am

I think making a habit of coasting a 722.6 would be unwise, should be fine for a few seconds though. Just have a look at the "towing" section of your E300D's owners manual. It likely has some bold red lettering spelling out words like NEVER, DON'T, and NOT.

When in doubt...DONT!

Why would anybody coast in neutral in the first place? Seems like a bad idea any way you slice it. A vehicle should be 100% in control of the driver to not kill everyone around it. The ability to accelerate in a panic situation could save lives.

PackerEdgerton

Post#10 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:26 am

Locked up wrote:My transmission has been working great, today I shifted it into neutral to coast to a stop light, when I stopped and put into gear, nothing! nada.

I was able to coast down hill into my driveway and that where it sits.

If I rev the engine it kind of barley moves, but it definitely is not in gear.

What say you guys?

Eric

Pardon me for asking, but why do you shift to neutral to coast? As Chris mentioned, I have always been told that's a bad idea for an auto. When I read the original post, I thought for sure it was a manual, which would make sense.

Packman

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”