Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Cargo Area Storage Drawers

Storage, Racks, Bed Conversions, Cargo area modification, tie-downs, extra fuel, roof-tents, awnings, curtains, cooking devices, water makers, water heaters, navigation devices, communication systems, tinted glass, flooring treatments, power and battery controllers, and all that other stuff you don't really need but is nice to have for big trips.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Mcfly

Re: Cargo Area Storage Drawers

Post#21 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:36 pm

stevegsmith wrote:Oooooh, Pirelli!

Mic drop!

Nicely done spallet!

Agree!
2000 Europa G500
1986 280ge 606STD

samduhspam

Post#22 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:31 am

Any reviews on the front runner or other options now available?

samduhspam

Post#23 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:36 pm

Anyone with the Front Runner drawers?

Court

Post#24 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:28 pm

I am interested in doing some DIY drawers and noticed today that the door opens to 99deg but the thickness of the door means if you pull out the drawers they will not clear the rear door with full drawer extension. Do I need to lengthen my door retainer ? Or ? I note on some photos on this thread that other rear doors open to about 110 deg or so?

SSG_USA

Post#25 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:44 am

I have had some frontrunner products and they are solid.
2018 Toyota 4runner TRD PRO

AlanMcR

Post#26 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:39 pm

Court wrote:I am interested in doing some DIY drawers and noticed today that the door opens to 99deg but the thickness of the door means if you pull out the drawers they will not clear the rear door with full drawer extension. Do I need to lengthen my door retainer ? Or ? I note on some photos on this thread that other rear doors open to about 110 deg or so?

If you try to open the door much further the spare tire will hit the D-pillar. In any case, I don't know of a longer door stop for the rear panel. Perhaps narrower drawers and a top-accessed long slot or a narrow water tank for that "unused" area.
...Alan

samduhspam

Post#27 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:59 pm

SSG_USA wrote:I have had some frontrunner products and they are solid.

Can you share pics of them installed? Thanks!

TMog617A

Post#28 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Bit late to the party but here are some pix of the Front runner as-symmetric drawers in my '07 G500:
DSC06341.JPG

Had to remove the CD changer bezel (Note: no access post install)
DSC06343.JPG

Side supports to create a large flat surface after install
DSC06344.JPG

Bottom:
DSC06345.JPG

Side:
DSC06346.JPG
'21 GLE350 - Wifey's daily driver
'07 G500 Flint Grey - Daily driver
'89 230GE - Overland Expedition G - (In surgery)
'62 Unimog-S 404.1 - OM617A - 406 Power Steer - Custom Rock Krawler (TMog)

TMog617A

Post#29 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:22 pm

The top has carpet liner on it:
DSC06349.JPG

DSC06354.JPG

The left drawer does rub the door card. I gently lean against the door with my shoulder to make the door clear when opening the left (smaller of the two) drawer. Not a big issue for me.
DSC06356.JPG

Clearance between folded rear bench and back of drawer box. I use this space for windshield sunscreen, umbrellas and cargo blankets
DSC06357.JPG

TMog617A

Post#30 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:49 pm

The top support plates shown earlier do not fit my interior as the G plastic molding is just a bit too inward. This is stock so I am sure other w463s may have the same issue.
DSC06360.JPG

Here is a close-up of the edge that would need to be cut to make it fit. The plates are made of carpeted 3/4" (IIRC) plywood so modifying should not be too difficult).
DSC06361.JPG

Installed (with optional ugly anti-theft style blanket):
DSC06363.JPG

This last picture does not show the final install as the kit comes with some cover plates to make it look more integrated. Also, there is a step to bolt the box down to the body for safety reasons. The kit also comes with some eye bolts that you can attach to the top plate (between the carpeted areas) as there is the Front Runner typical rail system. Really handy for strapping cargo on top.

I have opted to not cut the support plates down as i was always planning to transfer this box into a (future) W460 expedition build with a different interior layout.

Anyways, this box was installed in April 2015 and is still going strong today. I actually picked up 6 bags of water softener salt (40lbs each) and 4 bags of top soil (similar weight) from HD today and loaded all 10 bags (approx.400lbs) on top of the cargo box with no problems. One drawer I use for tools and emergency essentials while the larger drawer is typically empty and is used for groceries that need to stay put during the drive home.

Hope this helps. If you want more pix just let me know and I'll get some tomorrow. I am really happy with this system and it will certainly be transferred into my expedition G once ready.

Return to “Camping and Overland Travel Related Modifications”