Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

One more time - 460 bumper, MB gray-black color number?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
stevegsmith

Re: One more time - 460 bumper, MB gray-black color number?

Post#11 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:54 pm

schuhe wrote:
stevegsmith wrote:
Dai C wrote:The Seymour MRO flat black (620-1433) is very close and once you paint it, by golly, it is the same!
I used it on the gutter trim and it is just amazing. I like having an off the shelf great paint that can deal with the grille and bumpers over time. Makes it easy to protect paint chips and scuffs without a production. Does the job on stealth wheels as well. I keep it in stock in the cluttered garage.
This great paint is here: http://www.seymourpaint.com/mro_enamels.html
The primers that Seymour recommends, iron oxide, and light grey are both fantastic. Really.
Another data point.
-Dai

I'll second Dai's comments Tom-dawg. He turned me onto the MRO and I've been using it ever since like it's crack. I've painted everything black on my truck with the stuff and I did't stop there. I painted my wife's entire Jeep, then the house, the driveway, the sidewalk, the plants, the old garage, the neighbors cat (that keeps crapping near the fountain) and yes......the children. Like Mark said, touch-up is just a rattle can away!

Oh No!!? Not the kids!!? The neighbor's cat - fine. I can see that. But the off-spring??!! Why did I think immediately of the character who played Baby Face Nelson in Oh Brother Where Art Thou? the moment I read your note, SS? I think the classic line there included: "Jesus saves, but George Nelson withrdraws!" This line was followed by a bust of fire from his 45 caliber rattle can... I mean, Thompson Submachine gun.

Hilarious!

Dai C

Post#12 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:29 pm

You guys are killin' me. Funny.

-Dai

EuroTruck

Post#13 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:27 am

Tom,

I thought it would better serve the G community to answer you PM question about powder coating on the forum.

Powder coating is very durable and ranges from affordable to "ouch", depending upon your particular vendor and what they charge for small batch runs.

So everyone else is aware of your project, you are working on the bumpers and the front grill giving them a spruce up. These are parts that I personally would rather use a spray paint application, instead of power coating.

One of the main benefits is the ease of touch up, just like others have already stated. Also, the front bumper and grill are very susceptible to stone chips from both highway and off-road driving. These chips, when occurring to powder coat, can be very hard to repair due to the thickness of the powder coat.

With spray on paints, you can sand the spot to be touched up, hit it with a good primer and then re-spray with a couple of top coats.

Yes, powder coat will last a long time, but it is not as repair friendly.

With regard to wheels, again it is my opinion that spraying is better. Once you chip powder coating on a wheel, it never looks the same again, until you remove the coating with blast media and re-powder coat.

If you don't feel that you can do a good job of spraying yourself, drop in on your local trade school where tomorrow's body shop workers are being trained. Many times, they will spray something for free, with you supplying the paint of course, just so they can practice their technique.

The 150 mL spray cans of 7167 from Mercedes are very expensive, so I would personally use the local paint shop to mix the color and put it into spray cans for me.

Good luck,

-Sean

Dai C

Post#14 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:43 pm

I like the advice Sean. I use powder coating on various stuff but I don't really want to use it on the front parts of the G. I get amazing rock chip damage on the grille especially. It is so easy to spruce up the parts with a respray and they look great a long time.

-Dai

schuhe

Post#15 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Great data...I do love data!!!

Well, Harald contacted Berlin...I mean, Stuttgart, and found that the MB paint number is # 6167. Dia notes that it is #7167, so either there is a digit error, or maybe slight variations in color by year.

I will check these numbers via the site offered by another forum member.

I am now leaning heavily toward paint. I like the rationale that paint is easier to touch up. I think Sean did not mention that the Wurth paint or MB paint is about 20$US a rattle can, I think. Really, this is cheap compared to having someone do the painting, but even if they do, I like have a rattle can in the tool box to cover sins caused by rocks, as noted by Dai.

But, just as I was typing this, my neigbhor Bill, our village mayor and avid Rainier drinker : ( told me that his paint guy (just repainted his 1970's Toyota Landcruser), has done other G's of my vintage, and thinks that he can match unexposed parts for my stock black-gray color. I still would like to have MB paint in a spary can (for touch up if needed), and Sean might be the source for that. The trick is starting in the right place in this stream of logic. Mix paint to the can color, or just hope the can is similar to the match of the faded existing color on the G.

DATA!!!

I will have more data and information from various sources by tomorrow. Sean, do you have the correct bumper paint (MB) code and in a can. Again, we are talking either # 6167 or #7167. These numbers might both exist, and be very close, like: black-gray or gray-black?

Wow! what an adventure, and I have not even left the garage!

Tom

Dai C

Post#16 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:52 pm

My main paint code is a 7xxx. The same paint code one the TDs is the code without the 7 prefix. Must be a G thing.
Glad to hear you are leaning toward paint. Do not let this completely engulf your psyche as Mr. Smith has. "I see a line of cars and want them painted black..." no colors any more"...Steve, I could not foresee this thing happening to you.

-Dai

schuhe

Post#17 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:39 pm

Dai,

Not to worry. I use a deodorant stick, and not a spray on deorderant! SS needs all things to be in spray-on. Check the arm pits!!

Actually, this whole discussion has been great. I need only now to consider the best way to have paint applied to my G parts. Also, I may have to have some parts glass bead blasted, it order to have paint applied evenly.

Thank you for all of the great input. Let's see how this turns out.

Tom

schuhe

Post#18 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:11 am

Using the site offered by Sean, and entering the 7167 code, Tiefdunkelgrau matt (7167) came up, indicating that this is a Mercedes Benz color used from 1986-2003. I did not get a response from 6167. Possible that before 1986 it was a slightly different formula, or that as I think Dai suggested, the G number sequences could be a different prefix. The search site identifies the paint as 7*167. Perhaps a helpful hint to this numbering system.

Later this week, I will see if these numbers and name actually mean anything to local paint mixers. I suspect that if they do not have the actual forumla for Tiefdunkelgrau matt, they will just use their technology to create a can of paint from a car part that they can examine and match. :roll:

EuroTruck

Post#19 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:54 am

Tom,

6167, if it is an actual paint code, would be in the 6000 range of MB paint codes, which is in the Green range.

7167 is the code you need. See the attached screen capture from the EPC. It shows the current paint codes available for "Detachable Parts", such as bumpers and grills.

I'm able to source this color from MB in 150 mL spray cans, but nothing from Wurth, as I do not have a relationship with this company.

-Sean
Attachments
MB Paint Codes for Detachable Parts.jpg

EuroTruck

Post#20 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:04 am

For future reference, the spray can colors available from MB in February 2010 are shown in the attached screen captures.

These are exterior paint colors for non-metallic paints. Codes for metallic paints are a whole different enchilada.

-Sean
Attachments
MB Paint Codes 1.jpg
MB Paint Codes 2.jpg
MB Paint Codes 3.jpg

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”